Chapter 12

◇■◇■◇ maybe she needed someone to show her how to live and maybe he needed someone to show him how to love- N.R. Hart ◇■◇■◇
************************************
Caroline
********
"Miss Caroline, you shouldn't look so put out," Rita says while bringing me my bag and sweater. "Having dinner with the new D'Amore family might be just as much fun or more so, than standing around looking at paintings."

Of course, she's right. However showing up at the gala with Pauly D'Amore as my date would surly have been a point for my side in my war against Katlyn. Truthfully, it doesn't matter either. Just being around Pauly is turning out to be more important than any annoying battle with my high school enemy. In fact, I've found myself thinking of him more than anything else.
Daydreaming about boys has never crossed my mind before. I have far more important things to be doing than that. Or at least, that's the way it's always been before. But now... things like becoming newest member of the Colony Club or being invited to the hottest event in New York have somehow fallen on my list.
Pauly D'Amore is now the most sought after man in the big city. He's handsome, comes from a good family, and the next in line to the D'Amore empire. Every young woman with any sense at all wants him. Or to at least, win an evening as his date. And wouldn't you know, I have been lucky enough to spend several evenings with him.
Though, I will admit. Pauly is an intense man. I heard through the grape vine, that he's just as intense in the bedroom. Which makes me more than a little nervous. I personally have never spent any time with a man that has such wild reputation before. Of course, I've been kissed by one or two of my dates from the past but that's about as far as I've ever gone. So, when I find myself alone with him at the end of a date, I become so nervous and unsure of myself that I find myself ending the evening before he has the chance to kiss me or even say as much as goodbye.
I'm afraid. Simple as that.
I no rule excuse. Point is, I like Pauly far more than I should. At first, I had agreed to go out with him because I'd would have been a fool not too. He's Pauly D'Amore for crying out loud! And I had thought me with him in the papers would definitely annoy Katlyn, which I'm positive it has. But... as I have spent time with him, I've found that I like him... alot. He's funny, handsome, clever, and fun to be around. He knows this life of glits and glam. But he doesn't enjoy it quite like I do. Which doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would.
I have always gone after the next 'golden boy'. Pauly might be the newest 'it boy' but he certainly isn't the 'golden' anything. Expect maybe his smile. Which is so rare to see. Almost as if he's determined to be miserable. Oh but when you do catch a glimpse of that grin, it will nearly blind you. It transforms him into someone else. He's more approachable. Not nearly as intimidating as he usually is.
When the elevator door opens and he steps out, my heart skips a beat. He's dressed casual, a relaxed style that I had yet to see him in. It suits him, the jeans just tight enough for me to appreciate the view of his backside. The black t-shirt loose enough for him to feel comfortable yet still tight enough to be pulled tight from the muscles across his chest and arms.
His dark eyes find me and looks me up and down. A part of me desperately wants his approval then the other part reminds me that I shouldn't care. It's a fine line between the two. I have no doubt that he will not be embarrassed by me yet I find that I want to impress his family. The little he has told me, these are very special people to him I'm about to meet.

"Are you ready?" He asks.

I nod with a grin. Standing so close to him in the elevator ride down, causes the same nervousness it does everytime I stand so close to him. He's usually quiet today. Perhaps he's nervous too. I grin at the silly thought. Pauly D'Amore may be many things but I seriously doubt that he's ever been nervous a day in his life. The doors open and I'm surprised to feel a hand placed on my lower back as he escorts me out. Odd. He's not done that before. And when we make our way into the street, I surprised again to see that we'll not be going in his normal limousine ride.
Instead of a driver opening the car door for me, he does.