Chapter 39

SoSsOsSoS one day you're going to see her holding hands with someone who took your chance SoSsOsSoS
************************************
Pauly
*****
The annual Children's Aid ball.
There were three reasons I decided to come.
First, Samuel would be here. With my mother and little brother. Not that I gave a shit about seeing my mother but I need to see Marco. See if I can get him away from my parents for a while.

Second, my entire family decided to go. John bringing Tommy to see how Samuel would react. Lex has finally been told all. And he was beyond pissed that John and I hadn't told him until now. My family had welcomed Tommy in with open arms, as I knew they would.

And third, Caroline would be here. Arabella had told me how Caroline had received her invitation into the Colony Club. How things were looking up for her. And everyone was talking about Caroline's new relationship with Jamie Valter. The Senator's eldest son, with his squeaky clean reputation, was probably the reason for the Colony Club's sudden interest in Caroline. She'd been trying to get this for over a year now.

I don't doubt that having my name linked to her's had kept the Colony Club at bay. Another perfect example of how I had, and would if I continued to see her, fuck up her life. It was what she wanted. To be one of them. With Jamie Valter on her arm, she could be all she wanted.
I stand off to the side. Next to Oscar and Seth, waiting to see my father enter the ballroom. Arabella and Maggie stay close. Toe and Max are here but stay out of sight. Tonight will be tense. Lex had to just about threaten Mia to keep her away. She didn't like the idea of not being here with us. He had reminded her that the little kids needed her more than the big kids right now. In the end, she'd relented with much irration. It was best she stay put, with Jessy and Mawmaw. It was safer that way.
Lex stands a few feet away, chatting with the one of the hosts for tonight. John and Tommy hang back with Toe and Max. Waiting for the right time to bring Tommy out. Facing my father with Henry's lover will hopefully frighten Samuel into nervousness. Then I plan to take off, heading straight for his office, to snoop through his personal belongs there. Seeing me here, he won't think me the one to have broken into his office.
It was a start at least.
Lex and John will keep Samuel busy but I'll have to work fast. And I'll need Oscar and Seth for lookouts and backups. Arabella and Maggie will stay long enough to be seen and the one of the guys will get them out safely. I'd like it if they could take Marco with them but I'll have to play that one carefully. He is still legally Samuel's son. Genevieve would cause a fuss even if Samuel would not. Simply because she could. It would be a messy situation.
Who was I kidding?
This whole night could turn out to be a cluster fuck.

"Stop pulling at your collar, Pauly," Maggie snaps. "You look handsome, she'll notice."

Seth turns a dark eye on her. Her eyes widen in innocence.

"What? He does look nice but so do you," she snaps. "This is no time to get jealous, Seth."

He wraps an arm around her, pulling her close, and whispering something sweet in her ear. She slaps playfully at his chest. It makes me miss my playful banter with Caroline. How she'd smile when I teased her. For fucks sake! Now isn't the time for this. I shake my thoughts away.
Just then at the entrance, photographer's begin snaps their cameras frantically.
The crowds gather to get a look at who has just arrived. Maggie and Arabella become interested too, moving us closer to get a better look.
I could personally care less as to who is causing such an up roar.
I'd rather keep looking around for Caroline, while I have the chance.
Then I hear someone say....

"She looks beautiful."

An older lady had spoken and I follow her gaze to the young lady on the man's arm that is currently holding everyone's attention in the room. Sure enough. Caroline smiles sweetly  beside Jamie while their pictures are being taken. No doubt for the front page of tomorrow's paper. And....fuck me... she does look beautiful.
While most of the ladies have chosen to wear brightly colored ball gowns, Caroline had picked a solid black dress. It fit her perfectly around her chest, the sweetheart line made even more sensual by the fact that her breasts are pressed up. My eyes go straight to the line of her cleavage. A nice size red ruby necklace lay just above that line of her mouth watering tits. She is no longer wearing my North star. She had been the last time I'd seen her but it was no replaced with blood red Rubies. Red ruby pins sparkle in the up do of her hair, a few strands of brown curls fall at her shoulders. Her big brown eyes have a smokey shadow to them that give her a sexy but still classy look to her. Matching her red jewelry, her lips had been painted into a dark red shape that begs to be kissed.
A terrifying thought comes to mind as I watch Jamie looking down on her. I won't be the one to kiss her lips tonight. Jamie would be the one to dance with her. Tell her how beautiful she looked, prove it to her by giving her his entire attention. He would get to place a protective arm around her. He would get her smiles and batting eyelashes. He would be the cause of her happiness. While I had been the cause of so many tears. Was she happy?
She smiled.
But the smile didn't quite reach her eyes.
Then another thought comes in....
Has she slept with him?
For a moment I see red. The thought of another guy looking at her naked body, being inside her, giving her pleasure, has my fists clenching tightly. I'd been the only one inside her body and the idea of another being in my place makes me feel ill. Literally sick. Anger floods my body with unreal force. She had been mine and I'd turned her away. What the fuck was wrong with me?
While pushing her away, I hadn't taken into consideration that she would be available for other men. Someone, someday would get the chance to fuck her. To hold her. To love her....and it's nearly more than I can stand. I find it hard to breathe. My jealousy is too great. A sharp pain shoots through my temple, making me wince. Too much stress and now these thoughts are making me insane with anger. But then...
As Jamie leads her deeper into the room, her eyes find me. She stares for a moment. Our gazes locked in an intense battle. Mine full of anger and mayhem while her's are....broken. A regretful sorrow can be seen behind those brown eyes. It snaps me out of the rage that has taken hold of my body.  My face softens under her gaze. She may be trying to move on with her life but she's still deep in misery, just as I am.
They move closer, I think for a brief second they plan to come to me, but it's Arabella and Maggie they walk to. Passing right by me. As if I don't matter. I suppose I don't anymore. A groan nearly comes out when I get a whiff of her sweetly soft perfume. Oscar and Arabella exchange words with them. Seth and Maggie chip in every so often. I'm the odd man out. Unable to speak because I'm solely fixed on her. She stands only two feet away, pretending to ignore me.
Her friend, Adalee shows up, with Jamie's brother Eric. They make a nice couple but I can't say the same for Caroline and Jamie. No one will ever be good enough for her in my opinion, not even myself. Then suddenly, a hand is being offered out to me. By the one person I'd love to slam my fists into, Jamie Valter. Caroline still has her arm whooped in his and she waits to see how I will react.