Chapter 3

+×+×+×+ my worst nightmare is my reality....and there is nothing that can wake me up....Sandra....+×+×+×+×+
************************************
Pauly
*****
There really is no place on earth like New York city in the fall. Normally, the brisk air helps get people in the mood for change. A break from the heat is usually welcome. This year it leaves me feeling colder than the wind. I waited until the grave yard emptied. I'm not fully ready to see my parents yet and they show up every day since the funeral. So, I pay my respects alone. Henry D'Amore was a lot of things but he was my big brother too. To say that I'm not sad would be a lie. I am. He was my brother but we were never really close. It's not the loss of him that has me staying in the shadows, it's what his death means. With the heir to the fortune having now past, the job Samuel has been training Henry for all these years, will go to the next in line. Me. It's why Samuel has been trying to track me down for the last week.
The funeral was two days ago, I watched from a safe distance away. It had been a huge event. So many in attendance that I had hardly been able to catch a glimpse of the casket. The paparazzi swarmed at the gates, snapping pictures in a tasteless manner. Henry's death had been all over the news, even TMZ, they didn't need pictures of the grieving family too. It made me remember exactly why I always hated this world. Why I didn't ever want the title Henry had inherited.
I'm not sure why I keep returning day after day to pay my respects to a brother, who was more of a stranger to me than anything. Maybe in hopes of catching a glimpse of Marco. I've thought of him many times over the last two years since I disappeared. Just because my big brother never really cared about my existence, doesn't mean that I don't care about my little brother. Marco is still so young. So clueless.
Now that Henry is gone, I have an overwhelming sense of protectiveness for the thirteen year old.
I've stayed away because I haven't wanted that title placed on my head. But keeping my distance means I'm unable to check on Marco too. So, I'm stumped.

"Hey," Oscar says from behind me, causing me to nearly jump out of my skin.

A very unnatural reaction from me. Being in the city has my nerves on edge. He hands over a take away cup of coffee.

"You alright?" He asks. "You look a little freaked out."

Those words have me shaking myself, mentally.

"Yeah, yeah. I'm sorry I had you meeting me here. It just seemed like-" he cuts me off.

"Dude, you don't have to apologize. I'm here for you in whatever way."

I roll my eyes. Of course, they're all thinking I'm some devastated sibling who just lost my hero of a big brother.

"Come on," I jerk my head in a 'let's get out of here' way. We stroll through the falling colorful leaves.

"How is Arabella enjoying the new apartment?" I ask in effort of being polite.

Oscar swallows a sip of coffee, nodding. "I think she's on cloud nine. I worried at first about her, moving here, it's a big change, but it seems I worried for nothing. She's happy, really happy. Finishing up the last minute details for the wedding."

I doubt that he shouldn't be worried but I keep that to myself. "Good. Mia? Maggie? Mamaw?"

He laughs. "Damn. That's a few M's."
I chuckle. "They're good though. They've been hounding me senselessly about you."

I grin. "I'd like to see them too. I just don't think it would such a good idea to see them. If Samuel found out he'd be pissed that they didn't turn me over to him."

"Is it completely impossible to think that your father might actually be concerned about you? I know that you've had your problems in the past but with everything that's happened, he might actually want to see you."