Chapter 71

♡●♡●♡ happiness can be found in even the darkest of time, as long as one remembers to turn on the light- Albus Dumbledore- JK Rowling ♡●♡●♡
************************************
Caroline
********
"Let me have a look now," Anut Stella takes my hand from her sister.

Anut Gia clucks her tongue.

"I'm so proud of him," Gia says. "He's growing into such a good man."

I can't help my smile. "Yes, he is," I say, glancing over to him across the room.

He's watching me, he's always watching me. I remember in the early days, it had annoyed me, and now I'd feel like something was wrong if he didn't keep an eye on me at all times. Even at a family gathering, like this. Mia had been so excited, she'd thrown together a small party just for family to celebrate.
Lex and Mia's townhouse in the upper East side is packed full of our family and friends. Even Toe, Max, and several other soliders have joined the party. Either for protection or just because their welcome, I'm not exactly sure which. As the family grows, more and more men have been added to the ranks. The many new faces the proof that the D'Amore empire is taking over.
The future is a blank sheet of paper. Anything is possible and right now, with Pauly's beloved older Anuties playing tug a war with my hand, I couldn't be more excited.

"We'll have to throw a party," Mia suggests. "A huge event to make the formal announcement."

Maggie and Arabella chim in.

"It could be themed," Arabella says.

"Oh, that would be nice, wouldn't it? Maybe like a masquerade ball?" Maggie practically bounces in her seat.

"Well," Mia smiles. "It's Caroline and Pauly's party. Whatever they choose."

Suddenly all eyes turn to me. Mia's sitting room is large and while the women have gathered on one side, the men have gathered on the other by the fire place. Being such gentlemen, they have allowed us ladies to take over the sofas and arm chairs. With all their eyes looking at me with curiosity, I wish Pauly was by my side and not clear across the room.

"Well," Anut Gia pushes. "What type of theme would you like?"

"Give the girl a moment to think, you ninny," Anut Stella snaps.

"If I'm a ninny, then you're an old fat head," Anut Gia barks back.

To diffuse the tension before the elderly sister's begin a war of words and name calling, I make a decision on the spot.

"What about a black and white party? That way, none of us have to listen to the guys gripping about dressing up? Their tuxedos will already match the theme."

"That would be nice," Adalee says with eagerness. "I don't think a Black and White party has be thrown at all this year."

"And it's a classy theme for a surprise announcement," Mia approves with a nod.

The ladies begin chatting away, throwing ideas and plans at me. I listen as best as I can, their enthusiasm about my engagement party is touching, but I can't help noticing Marco. He's standing in the corner of the room on the far end, arms crossed and currently his eyes are shooting daggers at... Sophie?
Rita and Sophie had been invited to this gathering too. Especially since Rita is family to me, and everyone has already grown to love Sophie.
I can't imagine why of Earth Marco is looking at....
Nevermind.
Yes, I can.
One of the last things Marco said to me was that he knew who to place his anger on. It had been my fault he was forced back to that school but it had been to save her. Sophie.
Richard Van Horne was as slick as the Devil and he'd forced me to choose. Going back to St. Francis Preparatory school wouldn't kill Marco but leaving sweet Sophie with a man like Headmaster Richard Van Horne...
As her legal guardian, if he had wanted too, he could have kept Sophie from her Anut and we wouldn't have been able to do a thing about it. From the moment I laid eyes on Sophie Van Horne, I knew that the man had done something to break her. Then I hadn't known she was Rita's niece. I still don't know what the man did to the girl but I don't think it was anything physical. She'd just been so... broken. Lost looking.
Being in her Anut's care for such a short while, everyone can see the difference in Sophie.
She's always been a beautiful girl but slowly she's started to come alive. Choosing her own style, being her true self. She smiles now and laughs happily at something Pauly's Anuties have said. She shines when she smiles. So bright it's hard to see anything else.
I watch her and Marco. He glares at her as she talks with the ladies. His death stare must be so strong that she can feel it because she turns her head to see the look being sent her way. That glorious smile falls from her face immediately. Her gaze falls to her hands in her lap.
Marco senses my watching and he raises a brow in my direction before turning away. He's changed so much from the first time I met him. He's darker. Not his looks but definitely his aura. The atmosphere surrounding him radiates with anger and resentment. I suppose the all black clothing he's begun to favor has a little to do with it too. It matches his mood perfectly.
I wonder if he approves of my marrying his big brother. His only brother now. Does he feel like I'm taking Pauly from him? Does Marco hate me still because he's had to return to St. Francis Preparatory? Has all the damage that his father has done blackened his youngest son's soul? How could Marco place the blame on Sophie? She was completely innocent.
I know that Pauly has noticed the changes in his brother too. He's said so. Pauly has also confessed that he doesn't have a clue how to help Marco. Pauly's fear is that if he pushes, Marco will pull away. The same way Pauly use too.
Sophie curles into herself. A clear indication that Marco makes her nervous.
How could he not with the evil look he just gave her?
As I look at her, I can't help noticing her choice of outfit. Denim overalls, cut off into shorts, with bright yellow sunflowers painted all over them, and a plain lime green t-shirt. Her wild wavy golden hair piled up into a large messy bun, held in place with a purple scrunchie. On her feet she sports an old pair of Vans, low tops, black with white trim. Her wrists hold several bands and bracelets, some with charms that hang. It's a strange style. Definitely not my tastes but the look works for her. She's still finding herself, only at thirteen, and I can't wait to watch as she blooms.
Marco is the opposite.
His taste in clothing is much darker. Black jeans with slits fraying at the knees. With a short sleeved black t-shirt, a sliver chain with a type of charm hangs from his neck. Marco's hair is longer on top, with the sides faded short. A mop of nearly black curls sits on top his head. And if he weren't wearing a scowl on his face, I'd say he is quite the looker.
While Sophie is sweet and bright, Marco is dark and brooding.