Chapter 13

^ ^ he lulls me to sleep and kisses
• • my eyes, don't tell anyone the
○ the big bad wolf is really a puppy in disguise.... ^ ^
• •

************************************

Pauly
*****
Perhaps I shouldn't have asked. It certainly isn't any of my business what she does. But this isn't the first time I have guessed that she might have a problem, nor is it the first time I have wanted to question it. Though why I want too question her, I can't say. Surely, it's only my curiosity getting the better of me, not real concern for her. Yeah, it's just curiosity, nothing more.
But when her doe brown eyes begin to fill with fear, I worry I might have over stepped some type of line.
We stand off to the side in Lex's foyer. Just about the only place where I could get a second or two alone with her. With so many family members wandering around, I'm lucky to get even that. Milo steps out into the entryway, only passing through, but he paused long enough to raise a brow in my direction and move on. My attention returns back to her as she starts to fidget with her hands.
A lock of chestnut brown hair falls to the side of her face. My hand moves automatically on it's own to move the soft hair away. Those big eyes look up to me again, a bit surprised by the tender moment between us.
She looks a bit like a child having been caught with her hand in a cookie jar. Though, I'm sure it's been a while since Caroline has had any cookie of any kind in a long time.

"I don't know what gave you that impression. Really Pauly, I'm just not use to such rich food. That's all," her voice is as innocent as Sarahbeth's.

"I'm not a fool. Don't talk to me like I am one either," I warn a bit too harsh. "I asked you a question. Give me an honest answer."

For a moment, I think she might cry. A stupid reaction, that only shows weakness, in my opinion. Then anger takes over. I've pissed her off a little. Anger, I can work. Crying, I have no idea what to do with.

"You asked a question, which I can choose not to answer. Since it isn't any of your business what I do. And I don't think you're a fool. Just a little too bold in asking such a personal question."

That little stubborn chin tilts up. Determined not to give me the answers I want. Again, I find myself impressed that she doesn't just given in when I snap at her. Caroline Barlow isn't a push over. My only tactic left is, showing affection to someone that I only want to fuck. Not really connect with. It's all I have left. I flat out asked and she tried lying to me. I tried intimidating her and all she does is bark back. So....

"I didn't mean to sound so hateful. You're right, it's not any of my business. But I couldn't help myself. I.... you have to see how beautiful you are. You don't need to worry about your weight anyways."

I'm not exactly sure what takes over me but I find myself stepping closer to her. Wrapping a arm around her, then lifting my other hand to caress her bottom lip with my thumb.

"All women worry about their weight," she argues. "That's not unusual."

"No, it's not," I half agree. "But starving yourself is. You're already too thin."

"Not as far as the rules go for the women of New York. I walk down the same sidewalks that models do, I refuse to be chubby beside them."

Our gazes lock and I become a little too honest.

"You out shine any of those women on their best days. They don't even come close to you."

Clear water begins to fill those doe brown eyes. Oh no. Not again. I can't deal with tears. A part of me wants to run away from the tears in her eyes. While the other part doesn't want to leave her, not while I've gotten so close to her. Her pretty face only inches below my own. Her very smell is flooding my senses now. I lean down to her a bit. That same panic I have seen so many times before crosses her face. So, I'm quick to tighten my grip around her. She won't be running away from me either. Not this evening.
I kiss her, soft and slow. Yet, somehow it's still passionate. For a while, the world falls away. My kiss comforting her in ways that my words never would. After a second or two, she melts into me.
Which causes my dick to twitch awake.
A certain desire takes over, so primal, that it nearly knocks the breathe out my lungs. I want her. More than I've ever wanted any woman. As she kisses me back, that desire grows even hotter. When we break apart, I'm left panting. I force myself a arms distance away from her. Or else, I'd be finding an empty room, locking the door, and having my way with her. Despite this being a family gathering. And the respect I have for Lex and Mia.