Arius - [The Truth]

I felt really happy that she was here, sitting in front of me, in my arms. I knew she didn’t want to be there but at least now I could explain everything to her, so now she would understand. I didn’t know where I was taking her, a nice, romantic place, I guess. 

       I eventually stopped my horse at a quiet place next to the Nile, far from the village. The river looked nice as it reflected the setting sun, there were two trees, the river, my horse, Alexandra and I. No one else was here, no one could hear, or see us.

       I got of my horse and helped Alexandra down too. She seemed to have no intention of talking to me. I guess she only came for that Haru guy’s sake. I felt a little jealous. No, I was very jealous.

       She crossed her arms and looked at the river. “If you have something to say spit it out. I want to go home.”

       I sighed and then looked at her ankle. I was pleased to see that she still wore the anklet which I had giver her. Well, I guess Subira was the one who gave it to her. “Alexandra, you’re jumping to conclusions. I want you to tell me what made you believe that I would betray you like that?”

       She shrugged, “The proof, I guess.”

       “What proof?” I asked.

       “The Princess of Syria, the fact that she was standing right there in front of me, I would call that living proof that you are engaged to her. Don’t tell me you aren’t.” She began to raise her voice.

       I sighed. “I won’t, because we are engaged.” I said, looking straight at her back.

       She didn’t move. “Then what…” She whispered, I hardly heard her.

       “Pardon?” I asked.

       “Then what do you expect me to think?” She yelled. “Did you think that I would feel as if I were kissed by god? Of course I would feel betrayed!” She turned back around as soon as the tears began to flow out of her big, green eyes and of course, her knife stabbed me in the heart, again. She wiped her tears and then said. “I don’t want to hear any more, I ask you to take me home.”

       “You don’t understand, Alexandra.”

       “I don’t care, take me home.” She repeated.

       “Please, just—” I started,

       “No! I said take me home! I don’t want to talk!”

       I closed my eyes as she continued to shout at me. I waited for her to stop, but she just kept going. I began to get frustrated. She screamed and shrieked like I was going to kill her or something; I opened my eyes and grabbed her arm.

Listen to me!” I yelled, breaking through her noise.

       She stared at me, shocked. I let go of her arm and she stepped backwards. I put my hand on my head and sighed, “Sorry,” I said.

       She turned back around and faced the Nile.

       We stood there quietly for a moment, the silence was killing me, so I was the one to break it.

       “It wasn’t my choice.” I said softly as I walked up to her. I saw her head spring up; I hoped that was a good sign. I stepped up, right behind her and wrapped my arms around her from the back.

       I could tell, when she hesitated, that she was about to try and fight me off, but she dropped her hands.

       I pressed my cheek against hers. “It’s all my father’s doing.” I said. “Apparently the King of Syria is ill and he may pass away soon. My father took that to his advantage, so he made an agreement with the King, saying that he will marry me to the Princess. If that comes to pass then my father can take over Syria, that’s what he wants and he did all of this without my consent. I didn’t even know about it until, about, two days ago.”