Chione - [The Prince's Chamber]

I slept well that night. I stayed in my bed for quite a while though the next morning. I kept smiling as I remembered Arius. I loved it when he hugged me, and I want him to do that all the time. I kept lifting my leg up and looking at the anklet Subira gave me, which was really from him. I was so happy…

       But it was that moment I realized how wrong this was. How could this ever work out? I felt sadness rush through me as I thought of the fact that I was a slave and he was a Prince. I know that he doesn’t think of me as anything less than a human being but everyone else does. No one would ever understand. How could I ever be with him?

       My day was definitely ruined. I wanted to see him now, because of my thoughts I now began to feel sad when I wasn’t with him. I wandered the halls and then went to Tabias’ room. I knocked on the door and she pulled it open. “Hello Alexandra!” She sang.

       “Good morning!” I said trying to smile.

       “You okay?” she asked pulling me into her room.

       I shook my head.

       “What’s up?” She asked sitting on her bed.

       I shook my head again.

       You are supposed to be super happy! You’re hooked up with the Prince of Egypt!” She laughed.

       “Tabia, that’s just it!” I said.

       Tabia stopped laughing and looked at me, confused. 

       “He is a Prince and I am a slave, how will this ever work out?” I asked.

       Tabia just looked at me. “Do you love him?” She asked.

       I didn’t even need to think to answer that, “Of course!”

       “Then don’t worry about it!” She said. “If it’s the fact that you will hardly see him that’s worrying you, don’t worry! I’ll handle that. For example, right now.”

       “What?” I asked.

       Without another word, Tabia took my hand and pulled me out of her room. We went up the stairs and into the hallway where the Princes’ chamber was.

       “Oh.” I said when I finally understood. “Would he still be in his room right now?” I asked.

“Yup, when the Pharaoh is here the latest Arius normally gets up only a little while after sunrise.” She said.

       I nodded my head.

       “See, when you are with me, no one will ask what you are doing, and if they do, I’ll just tell them you serve me.” She smiled.

       I smiled back at her, “Thanks Tabia.”

       When we made it to his door, Tabia knocked. We waited for a while, and then Tabia knocked again, louder.

       “Maybe he’s sleeping.” I said.

       Tabia shrugged. “So? He should be awake right now.” Tabia smiled, she knocked again and finally I heard him yell. “I am coming Tabia!”

       Tabia giggled.

       “How does he know it’s you?” I asked.

       “Normally people don’t continue to knock. If no one answers the first time, they leave.