Chione - [The Garden]

I kept thinking of the amount of relief I felt when the Prince had asked me “Tell me one good reason that I would have to hide the fact that I am a Prince from you?” I still don’t know why.

       I think it was because he was right, why would he?

       He was a good person, unlike his father. The day that I told him about my parents and how they were killed, he felt complete sympathy for me. I should have understood that and respected him.

       It has been two days since the Prince had become Pharaoh, it was only temporary but I noticed everyone trying to make the best of it, at least while it lasted.

       Everyone was happy; they all smiled and talked freely. I was given more work than usual but I saw the Prince over and over again while I did them.

       I wanted to say sorry to him but the only problem was that he looked right past me when he walked by.

       Not to mention the fact that more guards were always by his side.

       But that wasn’t the only change in him.

       One thing I was sure of was the fact that he looked so much stronger.

       He carried a sword which was sheathed into a belt which wrapped around his waist and he wore more jewels. I also noticed that his ears were pierced; both of them and long thick gold earrings hung them. He didn’t wear a big head dress like his father; all that was on his head was a thick gold, headband like thing that went over his forehead.        It had the shape of an eye, probably symbolizing that the ‘Pharaoh sees all truth, and lies’ or something like that.

       His eyes looked more prominent because of the think eyeliner which now bordered them, and his long black hair dangled down on his shoulders.

       Yes, he looked like the most handsome young man in Egypt.

       I continued to try and talk to him but it was no use. Either he looked right past me or I was stopped by a guard.

       I was beginning to get frustrated but I decided that I shouldn’t. I completely deserved this.

       I felt terrible, he had helped me three times in one night, first after I dropped and broke all the glass then by taking me to the doctor and finally, giving me food, and to repay him I called him terrible names. I continued to beat myself up for the past three days but I didn’t feel any better.          

       At noon, I was told to go to the palace garden and pick out the weeds. I was a little happy with this, since I could be in a calm, quite place.

       When I arrived though, I realized why the witch Aziza made me come out here. The sun was at its hottest, right on top of me. I could feel the blazing heat but I knew I had no choice but to work.

       I worked for what seemed like a long time but the weeds kept coming. I finally was too tired to work and found myself lying on the floor.

       I must have fallen. I thought to myself.

       I couldn’t feel anything but the heat. I pulled my hand up and put it on top of my face to shield my eyes from the sun. A little nap won’t kill me. I thought.

       I dreamed this dream continuously, ever since I first came here. I was walking, no, running, around the palace garden. I was jumping up and down, for some reason I was happy. I saw many people, but one person I could see better than the rest. That person was glowing, sparkles flew all around. I smiled at the person and then I suddenly fell down.        I stayed down on the soft floor and looked at the clouds.    I felt strange happiness, I don’t know why. Then it unexpectedly got dark.

       I opened my eyes when I felt myself under some sort of shadow. A cloud? I thought. I blinked a couple times and what I saw was no cloud. It was something that is a hundred times more beautiful than any cloud.

       The Prince, or should I say, the Pharaoh, looked at me with a concerned look. As soon as he noticed I was awake, he held his hand out. I took it immediately and he pulled me up. He was really strong, I felt no struggle when he pulled me up and it was a quick smooth movement.

       I took this moment to my advantage, we were alone and he was looking at me, now I can say my sorry.