[Sleep]

[Arius]

I didn’t know what was going on, but I hated it. My body was stiff and felt terrible. Nervousness rushed through me and my head killed. The nightmare repeated so many times, and it wouldn’t stop.

       This time, it was different though. The nightmare was longer. My fathers face seemed to be more monstrous, and I could see my mother more clearly.

       I ran through the halls trying to find the source of the screaming and it lead to my parents’ chamber. I opened the door and then saw a bed, with a body on it. I walked up to it and it was my mother. “M-Mother?” I said as tears rolled down my cheek.

       The body turned slowly, my mother’s face had tears running down her cheeks, it was swollen, her eyes were red, and blood was dripping down the side of her mouth, but she was still beautiful. She touched my face, “H-honey, A-Arius, please g-g—” Her hand dropped.

       “Mama? Mama? What’s wrong? Ma?” I cried and cried. I turned my head and looked around and saw another body on the other side of the bed. I walked to the other side and saw my brother, his eyes were closed and there was blood dripping off the side of his body. When I looked closely, I realized that one of his arms were gone.

       I jumped back and fell on the floor, and I began to cry harder. Oh no! I thought. Why is this happening?

       Then I felt an arm on my shoulder, “It’s too late now, we have to move on.” My father’s voice shook, but at the same time it was calm. Suddenly I saw I knife at my neck, “I will kill you if you don’t do as I say!” He whispered. But this time, I wasn’t going to just sit there. I pulled away as I felt the blood drip down from my neck. I turned around and ran out the door, I didn’t know where I was going but it didn’t matter, I just wanted to get out of here.

       I couldn’t hear anyone chasing me, which put me in relief. I found myself outside of the palace soon, only to wish I was back inside. Something strange was going on, all the guards and soldiers were outside on the palace grounds holding weapons. A war? I thought as I looked around. “What’s going on?” I asked, but no one seemed to hear me, people just walked by without even looking at me.

       I shook my head, still confused and then I began to hear screaming again. I closed my eyes and tried to block out the sounds, but I couldn’t. I began to run again, I didn’t know where I was going. I felt terrible inside, I wanted to know why this was happening. Was I asleep? Was I having a nightmare? If that’s true, than why couldn’t I wake up?

       I began to slow down when I felt something strange. It was a nice feeling, on my face. I stopped and looked around, everything seemed to have disappeared. The screaming had stopped and now I could only hear the sound of my racing heart, and another one? I thought I heard two, but I wasn’t sure.

       I closed my eyes and put my hand on my face. I felt something there, it was another hand. I slowly opened my eyes again and it was dark, the only light was the flame of a candle. I turned my head and looked around and realized I was in my bedroom. It was dark outside and the wind was blowing in from the open balcony doors.

       I was still holding that hand on my face, I turned around and saw the person I least expected to be here. Alexandra sat beside me with her eyes wide open. I stared at her, very confused.

       I quickly lifted myself up and then looked at Alexandra. Her eyes were still wide open in shock. “Umm, I need to wash my face…” I told her.

       She quickly nodded her head and moved aside.

       I got off the bed and walked to the washroom; I closed the door behind me and was glad to see fresh water inside a bucket. I washed my face and my mouth and then realized how good I felt. Strange… I thought.