[All of Egypt is watching]

[Arius]

           Khafirin marched out of my uncles’ bedroom, but only really showed his anger after the door closed.

       “What is it?” I asked.

       “If the child is a girl then Alexandra and the child will be killed.” Khafirin said, placing his hand on his forehead.

       I closed my eyes and pressed my temples with my finger and thumb. “What are the chances of the child being a girl?” I asked, cautiously.

       Khafirin sighed. “High.” He said. “The birth of females seems to be more frequent then that of a male.”

       My body suddenly felt cold.

       “It’s all up to the gods, my Prince.” Khafirin said. “If they want Alexandra to live, they will send us a boy.”

       I nodded my head. He was right… all we had to do was wait. Wait and hope for a boy.

       Or the early death of the Pharaoh.

 [Chione]

           After the huge commotion in the throne room, Tabia had taken me to Subira, who was absolutely thrilled to see me. Of course, I was happy to see her too, it had been so long. Both her children had grown so much and both of them were so gorgeous!

       And Doctor Tumini, he looked as tired as ever, but also as nice as ever.

       When Subira found out I was pregnant, she looked absolutely shocked. But then she seemed extremely happy.

       She immediately set up a room for me and started to take care of me.

       It felt like I had a mother.

▪ ▪ Ω ▪ ▪

       That night, Arius came to visit me. Tabia had already explained to me why Arius hadn’t come to see me for all this time, and I understood.

       I forgave him.

       He told me it was too dangerous for us to leave the home of Subira and Doctor Tumini, so we stayed in the room that Subira had arranged for me.

       I sat on the bed and Arius sat next to me.

       “What’s going to happen?” I asked him.

       He sighed. “They said they would kill you and the baby if the baby is a girl.”

       I placed my hands on my stomach. “And if it’s a boy?”

       “Then he will be the next Prince of Egypt.”

“And what if I do give birth to a girl, what are we going to do?”

       Arius hesitated. His hesitation worried me.

       “Arius?” I called. “What are we going to do?”

       He looked at me. “I won’t let them hurt you... or our child. I promise.” He leaned over and kissed me.

       I smiled at him, glad that I could feel a little better. Girl or boy, this child was mine... ours. This baby belonged to Arius and I.

       My smile grew at the thought of that. The thought of carrying our child.

       But then a sudden fear overwhelmed me. Could I really be so sure that everything was going to be alright?