[The Banquet]

[Chione]

Paceing around the kitchen, I waited for an order, quickly finished it and then waited for another one.

       I couldn’t believe that boy was the prince! How could I not have been able to tell? His attitude, his clothing, the way he talks, his politeness, all of those should have given it away. I felt so foolish; I couldn’t believe that the son of the king made me so happy.

       “Alexandra! Can you believe it? The boy who saved us was the Prince!” Saia seemed pleased with that, I on the other hand, was furious. How could I have been so nice to the son of the King?

       Saia soon seemed to notice my anger. “Alexandra, are you okay?”

       I turned my head. “Yes.” I mumbled.

       Saia just nodded her head and looked away.

       I continued to run around until I heard my name called. “Chione! Saia!” Lady Aziza yelled.

       Both Saia and I turned around at the same time. We bowed and said, “Yes, my Lady?”

       “You two heard of the banquet which is going to take place, did you not?”

       Saia and I nodded.

       “Well, we need maids to go around as waitresses; you two shall be two of them, alright?”

       Saia and I looked at each other and hesitated.

       “That was an order! Now go clean yourself up and get dressed, the banquet which will begin as soon as the sun sets.” She yelled. She then led us to a dressing room.

            We spent the next while getting dressed, there were about eight other maids doing this. We dressed in unbelievable clothing. The red blouse was deep and showed our bellies and the blue dress went to our knees but was a little longer at the back. Our hair was to be left out ,we wore large earrings, heavy necklaces and other jewelry as well. Our faces were painted with makeup and we were splashed with perfume.

       I felt ridiculous.

       When I was all dressed, however, I looked in a mirror and all my worries faded away.

       I looked wonderful.

       If only the clothes weren’t so revealing.

       When the banquet had started, the throne room was already filled with people.

       I served the beverages and I was told that I must be fast.         

So I rushed in with the drinks.

       When I walked in, I heard saw many men begin to grin.           

Right then, I looked around and realized why we were dressed ridiculously. There were maybe ten high class women in this gathering of over a hundred people, the rest were men.

       We were dressed like this to please the men.

       I sighed, I didn’t like this one bit.

       But soon, I didn’t have time to worry about anything. As I passed the beverages around I had to run in and out of the kitchen continuously.

       Even though I was running around, I was forced to try to be as graceful as I could. Aziza had cursed me enough time for my clumsy walk.