Chione - [Crying Make Everything Better]

Mt whole body hurt the next morning. It was because I ended up falling asleep on the floor. After I struggled to lift myself up, I yawned as I stretched.

       My head felt like it was going to explode, and for some reason, I felt out of breath. I put both my hands on my head and sat on my bed. I closed my eyes tightly and no matter how hard I tried to keep him from my head, he wouldn’t leave. I only saw Arius, I didn’t want to hate him, and I wanted to be with him.

       I got up and pulled a comb out from under my bed, I pulled it through my terribly tangled hair causing my head to hurt a hundred times more. I put on a loose dress that went down to my knees and I picked up my sandals. I walked out bare foot towards the line of wells where many of the other slaves were washing up. I went to the well that had hardly any people there and threw the bucket into it; I pulled it back up slowly.

       I washed my face and my arms and legs, the cold water felt nice on my extremely warm skin. As I washed my feet I noticed the anklet, I closed my eyes and remembered Subira telling me why Arius bought it, “he smiled and said ‘Mommy always told me to buy something for the girl I love.’”

       I shook my head and slipped my sandals on. I walked past the many slaves who were busy washing themselves up. “Good morning, Chione!” They would say as I walked by, “Good morning!” I would reply, pretending I was one of the happiest girls in the world, even though I felt like I was dying inside.

       I sat on the steps that led to the south-eastern entrance, leaning against a column, alone. I fiddled with my hair as I sat there, deep in thought. What was I thinking? How could I have ever fallen in love with him, he’s the Prince! The next Pharaoh of Egypt. It would never have worked out; I could never have been able to be with him, even if the gods willed it. I looked up at the bright blue sky. It was a beautiful day and everyone seemed to be happy, except for me.

       “Good morning!” I jumped up as Saia wrapped her arms around me. She sat next to me and smiled.

       “Good morning.” I said, forcing a smile out.

       “So, what-cha doing?” She asked,

       “Nothing.” I said, dully.

       “You look as beautiful as ever!” she said, nudging me.

       I smiled, “Thank you. You do to.”

       She smiled back. I knew she wanted to make me feel better, she was always like that.

       “So, anything new?” She asked me.

       I smiled, “No.”

       “Well, I saw that boy again and he waved at me!”.

       I just smiled and nodded my head.

       There was a long silence.

       “Oh Alexandra! Don’t be like this! I’m sure it was just a misunderstanding! I’m sure that we just heard wrong! The Prince would never betray you! You know that! You know that he cares for you, and you know that you care for him as well!”

       She threw those words at me way too fast, I felt the tears stream down my cheek. I continued to smile though, trying to stop the tears. I didn’t want others to know that I was hurt, because it might hurt them as well. I especially didn’t want Saia to know.

       Saia gasped and threw her arms around me, “I’m sorry, Alexandra! I’m sorry! I’ll shut up!”

       “No, I’m sorry. I’m just being a big baby. There’s no reason for me to cry, I’m alright!” I said wiping my tears away and pulling myself away from Saia’s hug.