Arius - [Emptiness]

Before we left, Akhen started to fuss, and begged us to let him come too. I was okay with it, Tabia was a bit worried, but she said okay too.

       The ride to the village was a long, familiar ride. I’ve been here before, but I couldn’t remember when.

       I thought about it the whole ride there, and then I finally remembered. This was the path we chose to take when we went to that destroyed village, years ago… That was when I met Alexandra’s grandfather.

       “Are you sure she will be there? In that village?” I asked Tabia.

       She nodded. “That’s where I told Haru and Saia to take her. It was the best place for her to be.”

       The farther we got from the palace, the more nervous I got. All my questions were going to be answered soon. And I wouldn’t know if those answers were going to make me happy or more miserable than I already was.

       But when we arrived, I realized that we weren’t where I thought we would be. “Where are we, Tabia?”

       She looked at me as our horses came to a stop. “Your uncle had this village rebuilt.” She said.

       “Oh.” I said as I got off the horse. But I just stood there.

       “Go look for her, Arius.”

       I looked at her. “Where are you going?”

       “I’m going to wait here.” She said.

       Akhen got off of his horse too. “I’ll help. This village seems pretty big.”

       I smiled at him. “Thank you.”

       “Now hurry up.” Tabia said. “Don’t keep her waiting any longer.”

       I hesitated, but then walked into the village.

       Everyone knew Akhen and I and bowed when they saw us. People started to whisper to each other, obviously wondering what the Princes of Egypt were doing here.

       However, only a few of them remembered me from my last visit, years ago.

       I wondered if that little girl was still here. What was her name? I thought for a moment. Oh yes, Hebony.

       I was then stopped by a woman. “My Prince! Welcome back!” She looked

       I looked at the woman, it took me a while to remember her though. But when I figured out who she was, I realized why she looked so different. The last time I had saw her, she was miserable and scared. Now, she looked peaceful and happy.

       It was Hebony’s mother. “Hello, how are you?”

       She smiled. “Fine, my Prince!” She then looked at Akhen and bowed.

       Akhen smiled.

       “What brings you here? Why do you return after so long?” She asked as she looked back at me.

       “I came to—”

       “Mama!” We heard a girl call.

       We all turned and saw a beautiful young girl walk towards us. It took her a while to notice me and when she did, her eyes widened. “My Prince?”

       I smiled at her, knowing who she was. “You’ve grown, Hebony.”

       I saw the joy in her eyes, probably because I remembered her. “This is truly a gift from god!” She said. “For you to come on my birthday!”

       I was surprised. “Happy Birthday!” Akhen and I said together.

       I looked at Akhen, who was smiling at Hebony.

       “Thank you!” Hebony smiled.

       “How old are you?” I asked.

       “Nineteen.” She smiled.

       That surprised me too. She looked so much younger. She was very thin, and fairly short. She had a round face and big round eyes, making her look only about fifteen. I remembered thinking she was five, ten years ago. I guess I was wrong.

       She looked at Akhen. “Are you Prince Akhen?” She asked him.

       He nodded, cheeks turning pink.

       I felt myself smile and I let them talk. I then looked at Hebony’s mother. “I came to see…” I hesitated, “Alex—” I stopped myself.

       “Alexandra?” She was surprised.

       I nodded.

       She looked over at the house I saw years ago, the one that was still intact though the others were destroyed.

       “She’s probably over there. She’s usually with the children.”

       I nodded. “Thank you…” I said.

       She smiled and I felt her watch me as I walked over to the distant house.

       As I got closer, I noticed a field. I then saw Haru working over there. I squinted and then gasped when a child ran past me. “Papa!” She called as she ran towards him.

       My heart stopped.

       Haru looked up at the little girl and smiled. He lifted her into his arms and kissed her cheek.

       And then another two boys ran after them. All of them calling him Papa.

       I then realized something.

       This was what I feared. All this time, from the second he left to go after her. I knew he loved her… and I knew that if she moved on, she would have probably moved on with him.

       This was what I was afraid of.

       Coming to see her, and realizing that she was now in love with Haru. In love with him, and happy with him.

       I was ready to turn around and leave, but then I thought this through again. I can’t jump to conclusions. There are plenty of women in this village. He could be married to any one of them; the children could be anyone’s.

       I took a deep breath and stepped forward, walking towards the small, but nice home. When I found the door, it was open.

       I thought of calling her, but I couldn’t find my voice.

       But then I realized that I didn’t need to.

       I saw her, sitting on the floor with her back towards me, making something.

       It was at that moment that I remembered how much I missed her. I had finally remembered that hole in my heart, that emptiness that I had managed to forget.

       My heart began to ache.

       She was right there, but I couldn’t seem to reach her.

       Why?

       And then, the same child that ran to Haru squished past me and entered the house. She ran up to Alexandra and hugged her.

       Alexandra laughed, and kissed the child on the cheek.

       And my heart felt as if it had shattered.