[Rumors]

[Chione]

I looked at my grandfather, a little angry at him for not telling me this before. But then again, I was a little happy. If he had told me this when I was younger, I would have probably died in disgust.

       No wonder he knew my mothers name. He once wanted her. But how crazy is that? He killed his own wife for my mother? Was she that beautiful? Was she that royal? What does that make me?

       I shook my head. Who cares about me? This man killed his wife because he wanted to get into bed with my mother.

       My stomach turned. The thought of the fact that this man could have been my step father made me sick.

       But enough with my disgust, it was about time I acknowledged Arius’ hate seriously. I watched him carefully, taking in the various expressions that passed over his face.

       Anger, disgust, hatred, sadness, pain. Pain. That was the most prominent emotion he was feeling, I could see it.

       Arius took a few breaths and then looked at my grandfather. “But that still doesn’t tell me why he killed my mother.” He said. “My father is the Pharaoh of Egypt. He can have many wives… if that was what he wanted. Why would he kill her?”

       “Because she was in the way.” My grandfather said. “You remember your mother, don’t you, Prince?”

       He nodded.

       “She was stunning, and loved.”

       Arius nodded again.

       “We Egyptians may not have said anything about it, but we all know that our respect for the king would have diminished if we knew he married another woman. But of course, our opinions would never matter, but what about that of the leaders of our allying nations? Your mother was a great friend of king and queen of Rome. They had great respect for, and adored her. If they knew your father had gotten tired of her, they would have been upset.”

       Arius nodded. But there was a strange look of doubt on his face.

       Did he think there was another reason?

       We were all quiet for a moment, at least until I noticed that the sun was already rising. I turned to my grandfather. “You must be off… if the guards, or the king see you…” I couldn’t even think of what could possible happen to my grandpa.

       Arius nodded in agreement. “I can escort you to the gate. No one will ask questions if I am with you.”

       My grandfather surprised me by snorting. “And leave my grandchild with you?”

       Arius hesitated.

       My grandpa turned to me. “You shall come with me.”