Arius - [A Birth and a Death]

As days passed, and the date of the birth was approaching, Alexandra began to get extensive care.

       I was panicking to the point that it looked like I was going to pass out.

       Akhen spent all his time with me because he was worried that I would collapse. Tabia spent all her time with Alexandra, Subira stayed with them too.

       Dr. Tumini was always close by, since he was the one who was going to deliver the baby.

       Saia and Haru always stayed by Alexandra’s side too.

       My uncle remained in his bedroom. He was still ill and refrained from moving.

       I was out and about. I couldn’t sit in one place. Alexandra was starting to feel more and more pain as the days passed, but whenever I asked about it she would say it’s okay. She promised me she was fine.

       I would always wonder if it would have been easier for her if my mother was still alive. Probably… mostly because she wouldn’t be feeling that pressure of having to give birth to a boy. If my mother was alive, anything would have been alright.

       But she wasn’t.

       And I really didn’t have the time or energy to fret about it right now.

       Soon, my uncle started to cough out blood. And two days after that was when things got frightening with Alexandra.

       Frightening as in she was going to give birth soon.

       I had no idea of what I was supposed to do when Haru came and told me Alexandra was going into labor.

       I wasn’t allowed into Alexandra’s room, so instead, I stayed in my own. I sat on my bed, and prayed.

       First of all, Alexandra needs to be alright. Then the baby… please be a boy, please be a boy, please be a boy, please be a boy, please be a boy…

       And that was how it went for the past few hours.

       At some point I got up and started pacing.

       And when I walked over to my balcony, I saw the crowd of people waiting on the other side of the palace wall.

       Well…

       I took a deep breath. Calm down, Arius.

       And then there was a knock on my door.

       “Yes?”

       “Brother!” Akhen paused. “It’s done…”

       The shake in his voice scared me. Scared me enough to make me run out the door and run all the way towards Dr. Tumini and Subira’s room.

       When I got there, it was awfully quiet… even though everyone was there.

       I looked at Tabia. “What… what’s wrong?”

       She smiled and took my hand, guiding me into Alexandra’s room.

       When we entered, my heart started to race. Something unbelievable had hit me in the face.

       There were two babies.

       I stared and Tabia giggled.

       “Both of them are mine?” I asked, stupidly.