[Unrequited Love]

[Arius]

I was shocked out of my senses when Tabia started to cry. I think everyone was. Tabia never cries… never.

“Sweetheart…” Subira whispered as she hugged Tabia.

       I felt bad. No, I felt terrible.

I could see a lot on Tabia’s face. Fear, shock, sadness…

       I stood there, not knowing what to say or do. Well, at least they know that the King killed my mother. That was a good thing, right?

       But what was I going to do about it?

       Killing him with my own hands was out of the question. I could never do that and live. First, I would be killing my father. Second, I would be killing the king of Egypt.

I could never get away with that.

       No matter how much I wanted to do it, I couldn’t.

       I looked up and saw Tabia looking at me. “Well?” She asked, wiping her nose with the back of her hand. “What are you going to do, Arius?”

I sighed and shrugged.

       “Arius… get out of here.” She said.

       I raised my eyebrows.

       “I’m serious, Leave now.”

       “But…”

       “The king has already sent out guards to look for her! If you stay here, they’re going to know that she is here!”

       She had a point.

       “Leave.” She repeated.

       I nodded. “I just need to talk to Alexandra.”

       “Hurry up.” Tabia said.

Subira and Dr. Tumini started to talk and Tabia joined in. I got up and walked to Subira’s bedroom, which was where Alexandra was.

       I stopped in front of the door for a second and then heard something… something I don’t think I was supposed to hear.

[Chione]

Haru walked towards me and sat down on the floor in front of me. He looked up. “Are you okay? You look stressed…”

       “No, no, I’m perfectly fine! Everything’s okay. Other than the fact that I’m doomed for execution because I fell in love with the Prince.” I sighed.

       Haru chuckled. “Don’t worry, the King has to go through me before he can get to you!”

       I laughed. That made me feel a little better, even though I knew for a fact that Haru wouldn’t stand a chance against the King. I mean, he was the King.

       Haru smiled. He opened his mouth to say something, and then closed it again.

       “What?” I asked.

       He shook his head and looked at the floor.

       I watched him for a moment.

       He looked back up at me. “Um… you promise you won’t take this seriously?”

       “Take what seriously?”

       “Just promise.”

       I hesitated, but nodded. “Okay, I promise.”