Chapter Nine

I fall asleep again but only for about ten minutes. I wake up when I hear screaming, I know that voice.

I get up and walk out of the infirmary, I see Minho dragging Ben to the open doors of the maze. I run over to Newt and Thomas and look at Newt. "What's going on?" I ask as Minho pulls Ben into the semi circle they've created.

"It's called a banishing, it's what happens if you break one of the rules." Newt explains and Minho cuts the rope that are holding Ben's hands on his head.

Ben starts coughing and he throws up something, I look away in disgust as Minho throws something's to Ben. "Please!" Ben begs and looks around the circle for a look of sympathy.

"Poles!" Alby calls and the people on the inside of the circle put something down and try to push him into the maze.

The Ben before we went I it the maze is gone. His dirty blonde hair is now covered in dirt, he now looks little and scrawny, instead of tall and not afraid of anything.

The walks make the familiar sound that tells us all that they're closing. The guys with the poles push Ben towards the maze as he continues to scream and beg to not be pushed in there.

The walks are getting closer as the guys push fun till he's just past them. He screams one last time until the doors close. Gally turns to me and leans against his pole. "That was your first banishing shank." He says.

"But why? Why did he get pushed into the maze? Couldn't he just have stayed in the slammer for a couple of days?" I ask and the guys with the poles lean them up against the wall.

"Because he hurt you, he tried to kill you and he broke your arm." Thomas says walking towards me. I step away from Thomas and he sighs. "And because he's going to become more violent and try to hurt you again." Thomas says and I look at him.

"Good, we don't need that here when it's already a little chaotic." I say and walk back to the infirmary.

I mean it's right. He tried to kill me, he deserves a punishment. Sending him out in the maze is the solution to the problem of him becoming more violent and him attacking another glader but what if there was a chance he could get better? I didn't see the aftermath of what he did to me because I passed out but I imagine it was bad. Thomas said he was in the slammer, I was in there with Thomas and it still played with my mind. I wasn't even stung either, and from the effects I saw Ben go through I don't want to be, or have anyone else get stung, even Gally.

"Amelia?" I hear Thomas say at the door. I turn and look at him, his face is fallen and he looks just plain sad. "What?" I ask and he let's out a breath.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry I pushed you and I'm sorry I stressed you out to the point of hating me." he says and leans against the makeshift door frame. I sigh and sit down on the bed that I was laying on. "Keep in mind Thomas that this is my third or fourth day here, I'm still getting used to it." I say beginning to play with my fingers.

"I know, and I forgot that. I shouldn't have forgotten and I shouldn't have." He says looking at his feet.

"Can you give me another chance?" He asks looking up at me and I lock eyes with him. I suddenly feel the comfort of his presence and nod. "One more chance." I say and his eyes light up with a smile. "thank you so much Amelia!" He exclaims and I can't help but laugh a little. "I'll see you at dinner, Fry has made something good tonight, I can smell it." He says smiling before walking out.

I hear Frypan call everyone to dinner and I get up. I walk towards the food and Thomas was right, it does smell delicious. I walk up and grab a plate before putting some food on it. I look around for Thomas but I don't see him.

As I'm walking over to where Newt is sitting I get my plate knocked out of my hands.

"Don't you see how this is all your fault?!" Gally yells at me causing everyone to go silent and look in our direction.

"You go out in the maze and Ben gets STUNG! Nobody has gotten stung in a year and the one day you go in there, someone get's stung! You don't see a problem with that?" He yells, getting closer to my face.

"I suggest you move before I punch you in the face." I say calmly and he laughs. "Yeah, spend another night in the slammer, that's what everyone would love. Have the girl who's been causing this mess to go into the slammer for one more night! Oh wait, but lover boy won't be able to join you!" He scoffs.

"Hey Gally, turn around." Minho's voice says from behind Gally. He turns around and crosses his arms.

"What? What do you want?!" He exclaims and gets punched. He turns around and falls on his face. I look at Gally, unconscious on the ground and then back up at Minho.

"Everyone's wanted to do that for a long time." Minho says and Newt walks up.

"What the bloody hell do you think you're doing? Alby is not going to stand for this! Minho, one night in the slammer, food provided because you need the energy." Newt says and Mino shrugs.

"It's worth it, he shouldn't have said that to the girl who helped bring back Ben and didn't stop helping him even when he was trying to kill her." Minho says walking in the direction of the slammer.

I watch as Minho jumps down into the little cell and i get more food before I go back to the infirmary to have some quiet time.

What did Minho do? Was that a gesture of friendship? Respect? What?