Chapter Twenty Two

A girl? I was the first one here but now another one is here? I can't even imagine what the other gladers are thinking.

"And I don't really know if she's alive or dead..." Newt adds on and I look down into the box to see a girl on her back. It doesn't look like she's breathing.

"Thomas lower me down." I say and he nods slowly putting me into the box.

I kneel down, careful of my foot and put my ear to her mouth.

I don't hear anything, no breathing, no heartbeat. Nothing.

I look up at Newt and he looks back at me. "Is she alive?" He asks and I shake my head.

"I don't hear her breathing, or anything." I say softly and he looks down at the girl who is probably dead.

"What are we supposed to do?" Minho says from above.

I look back at the girl and notice something in her hand. I take it out slowly, not wanting to wake up her up or really disturb her if she's really dead.

I read it and look at Newt. "This is bad." I say softly and get up leaning back so I don't stand on my foot.

"What is it?" I ask and I look at everyone above the box. Then look at Newt.

"She's the last one. Ever." I say softly and look at the girl.

She's the last one? No supplies? No more animals? No more anything? This is so not good.

I kneel down to pick up her arm but as soon a finger touches her she jerks awake making me fall on my butt and move away from her.

"Amelia, Thomas." She says and looks around and her eyes meet mine. She crawls over to me and clings to my shirt.

"Everything. Is. Going. To. Change. You need to help me. You need to help all of us." She says and collapses onto me.

I push her off of me and move to the corner of the box.

Her eyes, her eyes were panicked and frantic, like she needed me to do something.

Everything is going to change? How? When? Why? It's the glade it's been the same for about two or three years. Why is it all changing now?

"Amelia, Thomas, gathering building now." Newt says climbing out of the box. "Everyone else get her out and get her in the infirmary." She says and limps over to the gathering building.

Minho gets in and lifts me out before he begins getting the girl out.

Thomas picks me up and follows Newt.