Chapter Twenty Nine

I run through the maze, hoping to run into Gally and not a griever.

I made this decision when we first ran into the maze. That I was going to stay behind and look for Gally.

I turn another corner as the sun goes down under the maze walls.

Taking a deep breath I keep running even through my legs are begging me to stop.

Hearing all of the moans and groans from the walls are not helping me.

I can't hear Gally and I can't hear anything else but the groaning of the walls.

I turn another corner and I hear the familiar and terrifying clicking of metal on the ground.

Griever.

"Great." I mumble and start running in the directions came in.

I'm not going to say I didn't expect grievers but I really need to find Gally, NOT a griever.

I run faster as the metal clicking is coming closer.

I bump into something hard and fall onto my butt.

I look up, hoping I don't see another griever.

"What are you doing shank?" Gally snaps at me.

I breath a sigh of relief to see him alive.

"Gally there's a griever coming. We need to move." I say and he shakes his head pulling me up by my hair.

I wince a bit and push him away.

"What are you doing?!" I snap at him as he pushes me against the nearest wall and punches me in the stomach.

I try to catch my breath as he hit me in the face and I feel my nose break.

Still trying to catch my breath, with the blood pouring out of my nose, Gally kicks my feet out from under me.

I hit the ground and my head hits the wall hard. My vision blurs for a second and I wipe my nose.

He laughs and grabs a rock nearby. My vision comes back and I look up at him. "Gally please." I say softly and he just looks at me.

"We belong to the maze." He says and throws the rock at my left shoulder.

The rock connects to my shoulder and I bite back a scream.

He grabs another rock, this one is bigger, and throws it at my shoulder again.

I can't help it and scream out.

His head jerks in the direction of the noise of metal.

He looks at me holding my shoulder trying not to cry.

He runs off and I groan. Stumbling a bit I get up, and start running away.

I fall into the wall more then once and try to ignore the pain running through my arm and shoulder.

I turn a corner and immediately regret it. The griever cut through and is right on front of me.

It just looks at me for a second and it comes out with a needle.

I freeze and it comes comes closer to me. I close my eyes and wait for the pain.

I feel it coming closer and it plunges the needle into my injured shoulder.

I scream in pain and grab my shoulder as I fall to the ground.

It runs away and I lean against the wall.

I need to get to the doors. I need to get to the doors so I don't need to panic when the doors open.

Struggling to get up I start walking towards the doors. I finally see the sun starting to come up above the walls.

My vision starts to blur again as I stumble over a rock.

I wince as my shoulder hits the wall and my legs begin to feel like they're going to fail.

Still falling over my own feet I struggle to the doors.

Luckily I reach the corridor in front of the doors, but they aren't open.

They need to open, now.

I take a few steps forward but my legs finally fail and I fall to my knees.

"Amelia? Please tell me you're alive." Thomas says in my mind.

"I'm alive." I manage to say before I fall onto my hands.

I'm not going to make it though.

I fall onto the floor and black out.