72: Wanting More

So many smiles. I thought awkwardly as I looked back and forth from my mom to Michael.

"So how was football practice Kale?" my mom asked, breaking the silence and giving him a sweet smile.

She is so happy with him. I watched as my mom laughed happily, her eyes shining as her Kale and Michael talked.

It was weeks from the wedding. Five weeks to be exact. I had gotten used to eating with the family now. The family. It felt so weird to think of them that way. Yet there they were before me eating and smiling. It was like it'd never been any other way.

My eyes drifted to Kale who noticed my gaze and smiled over his glass towards me as he took a drink. I returned it with a half assed one. Even Kale and I had been getting along. He'd taken to acting like a normal person around me again. No more trying to annoy me with sexual advances. Just Kale; my step brother to be. My gut lurched unhappily.

 "So Jakeson, Rein tells us you just got accepted into McIntire School of Commerce?" Michael asked as he finished off his steak causing me to snap from my mind. Did I really tell them that? I don't remember saying anything about it. I wondered.

"Yessir. I'm starting once this school year ends." Jakeson confirmed as I looked over at where he sat beside me. No Sunday night family dinner was complete without my trustworthy boyfriend. I held in a personal grimace. I didn't even know why I was unhappy.

"Isn't that all the way in Virginia?" my mom asked.

He nodded. "Yeah it is, but I'm working it out." He glanced over at me, his perfect blue eyes catching mine.

I gave him a weak smile. "You still have eight months." I pointed out. Suddenly the normal dinner felt increasingly awkward. My mother loved Jakeson. Michael seemed indifferent along with Kale. They just sat and asked random questions. I wasn't sure if they were getting to know him better or interrogating him. Maybe a bit of both?

As I finished my food the look of 'save me' that Jakeson shot my way as Michael began to ask him about the details of how soon he'd be moving after senior year caused me to decide enough was enough. "Please excuse me." I said as I got up from the table, leaving behind my plate. Jakeson excused himself as well and together we walked into the living room.

Time has gone by so quickly. I closed my eyes and ran my hands through my hair as I listened to Kale and Michael talk back and forth in the kitchen. So happy. I thought as I listened to the trio of them laughing. So oblivious that I don't belong. I didn't. I wasn't supposed to be sitting and having other people serve me while I make small talk with them. Every time I looked at Kale I was reminded of the stupid kiss that had made things bearable with us. That single kiss in the photo room where I'd kissed him back.

Ever since then he'd only acted out once or twice. Otherwise it was like we'd never had any rough or smooth patches together. After all we were just going to be related. No reason for there to be anything special. I don't like Kale. I reminded myself as I tried to shut out his perfect laughter.

"Are you okay?" Jakeson asked softly as he wrapped his arms around me from behind and rested his chin on my shoulder.