35: Rich Kids

“If you want to go home early just find me.” Kale reminded me for about the hundredth time.

I nodded. “It’s just a party I’ll be fine.”

He shrugged. “You’re the one who didn’t want to come in the first place.”

“Yeah and I agreed to come so just drop it already.” All this talk of wanting to leave early is just making me nervous.

He parked the car in the grass of the lawn and looked over at me. Am I supposed to say something? I wondered nervously avoiding his stare. The soft click of the doors unlocking greeted my ears and I scrambled out of the car to get away. Weirdo. If he’s trying to make me want to go home it’s definitely working.  “Stay close to me.”

I looked up at him as we approached the door. “Why?”

“Because this is a closed circuit party. If you aren’t invited or with someone who is there is no way you’re getting through the front door. They know me so you’ll be fine.”

I cocked an eyebrow noticing the group of guys in dark blue shirts who stood looking utterly intimidating just inside of the open door. “Wow. Security at a high school party? Really?”

“The party’s out back and Jakeson’s not stupid enough to trust people in his house.  Things could get stolen.”

I nodded. Rich kids.  We approached the two large open front doors walking beside each other. The pair of light blue jean shorts I wore showed off my legs that were finally starting to pick up the faintest hint of a tan. I had always been fair skinned and tanning took decades for me so I just never bothered with it.

It turned out that I didn’t need to stay too close to Kale after all. “Rein!” Jakeson’s enthusiastic voice greeted my ears as he made his way past the security to meet me on the front porch. 

Kale gave me a look and squeezed past us his body brushing up against mine and I couldn’t help to scan his wonderful body ever so quickly.  “Hey Jakeson.” I replied with a shy smile. I can’t believe I was talked into going to a party.

He slung his muscular arm over my shoulder and pulled me closer. “Come on I’ll show you around.” He lead us inside, through a large hallway lined with pictures of Jakeson growing up, and out to the open patio door.  My jaw nearly hit the floor as my eyes widened. Now this is insane.

I was greeted by the sight of an actual party. The kind where everyone brings someone who brings someone and it eventually ends up like it was now; at least two hundred people. “You sure know how to throw a party.” I mutterd my eyes scanning the party. It was insane. Centered on the pool most girls had stripped down to their swimming suits. A live band was playing up on a stage which looked like it had been set up just for this occasion.

It was the blatantly obvious table full of alcoholic beverages that surprised me most. Beanbag chairs and benches littered the overly sized patio and my mind wandered to some sort of celebrity party. “Not really.” I could feel him shrug as he led me up to a group of guys in a casual group scoping out girls as they walked by.  Every time a girl approached them however they shut them out. It was guy time. “Here let me introduce you to some people.” He leaned in whispering into my ear so close that his stubble tickled my cheek.

“Hey Jakeson.” The guys greeted him moments after I ducked from under his arm. It had been making me increasingly uncomfrotable. Being so close to him caused my heart to flutter and every part of me touching him tingle yelling for attention.

“This the girl you’ve been telling us about?” the one nearest me asked and I couldn’t help but notice he looked familiar.

“Rein this is my brother Matthew.” He motioned to the cutie who had just spoken. “Matthew this is Rein.” He ruffled my hair playfully and I held in a glare.  “Lucas, Stephan, Carls, Peter, Seth and Lance.” He said naming them off one by one. He has a brother?! I guess I never really bothered asking. “They’re from Lacette Academy.”

“Well Jakeson was right.” The one named Seth said and I cocked an eyebrow.

“About?” I asked unsure if I wanted  to know the answer.

He ignored the comment and flashed me a smile. “So Jakeson tells me you’re new to California?”

I nodded. “I could show you around some time.” The one named Peter piped up with a smile. 

Thanks a lot Jakeson. You just threw me to the wolves. “Oh please Peter, she wouldn’t be interested in any of the spots you know.  I on the other hand would love to be your tour guide.” Lance winked at me.  I became aware of Matthew’s eyes glued to me.

“Rein do you want something to drink?” he asked me as the guys chattered among themselves debating where I should see first.

“I think I’ll go get one myself, thanks.” I replied with a nervous smile.

“I’ll get you one.” Jakeson patted me on the back before I could protest he walked off..

“So Jakeson tells us you’re single?” Peter asked  taking a sip from his red plastic cup.

Will I be digging myself into a whole I can’t get out of if I answer yes? I wondered and thankfully didn’t have to think about it long. “She’s not allowed to date.” Brendon said as he slung his arms around my waist and rested his head on my left shoulder.

“Oh?” Lance asked raising his eyebrow curious.

“Being her elder brother I swore to make sure that my precious sister doesn’t date unless it is a boy I approve of.” He lied. Oh my god I love you Brendon. I said smiling.

“Brendon will you give the girl a break on the loving?” Jakeson asked as he came up with two cups in hand. Busted. “Here you go doll.” He handed me the cup in his right hand.

“You didn’t look related.” Seth laughed.

I lifted the cup to my lips and instantly lowered it after taking a sip. Alcohol. The bland taste of beer met my tongue. “Don’t want it?” Brendon whispered in my ear for just me to hear. I gave a little nod and he unwrapped his arms from me and grabbed the cup. “Yoink.” He laughed and took a big swig.

I love you so much more. I thanked him internally.  Alcohol wasn’t my thing. Wine before bed, sure. But alcohol at a party? That was one mistake I was not going to be making.

California - Hollywood Undead