41: Hospital Beds

--Kale’s POV--

“It looks like she suffered from a mild concussion and some bruises to the ribs but nothing critical. She has some minor bruising but we gave her some pills to help with the pain.” The doctor informed me as Grass, Jakeson and I waited impatiently outside of Rein’s hospital room. “She should be able to leave noon tomorrow. Now I have to ask both her and the boy who brought her in refused to give any personal information about her; who is she?”

“Can I talk to her first? If it is about the bill I can pay for it in cash when she leaves. You can hold on to my mustang for collateral, I’m not going anywhere.” I said handing him the keys and pushing past him and into the room.

Brendon sat on her side talking on the phone in a hushed voice. “Hey Rein.”  Grass said softly as he approached her and tucked some of her hair behind her ear.

“I’m sorry.” She breathed so soft we could barely hear her.

“The medication they have her on is really strong, I made sure they only gave her the best. She’ll be passing out asleep any moment now but she can’t feel the pain.” Brendon filled us in before going back to his phone conversation.

“Why didn’t you give your information?” I asked her softly.

“Didn’t want to get in trouble.” She said giving a small smile.

“We should have killed him when we had the chance.” Jakeson growled his fist curling into balls as he stared down at her. “I should have never gone back downstairs Rein I’m so sorry.”

“Not your fault.” She said groggily her head tilting to the side slightly.

Jakeson and I exchanged uneasy glances. “They said you’ll be out of here by tomorrow.” Grass said in the same soft tone he had used earlier. He had a gentle caring look to his face as he looked down at her. It almost surprised me how genuine all of their worry was.

“Not how I expected my first party to go.” She let out a drowsy chuckle. How can you be so calm about all of this Rein?

“I wish I could stay here Rein but I have a party to go wrap up. I promise I’ll be here when we bring you home.” Jakeson gave her a sad smile as he bent over and gave her a soft kiss on the forehead. “Grass you should probably come with so you can get your truck.”

“No I-“

Rein cut him off. “Go. I’ll be fine.”

“I have to go sort things out with the police.” Brendon said as he got to his feet and looked down to Rein. Their eyes met and he nodded. “I know, I didn’t forget. I still don’t understand why but I promised you I would.” He said as if answering a question she had just asked.

In fifteen minutes they were gone and I was left alone with Rein. “Are you awake?”

She didn’t reply and I took the seat at her side Brendon had been in earlier. “Don’t tell Christine.” She breathed softly. I looked at her again.

This is all my fault. “I won’t.”  I agreed.

We were silent for a few minutes and I figured she had fallen asleep.“Kale?”

“Yeah?”

“I’m glad you were there.”

What are Friends For - Freshman 15