61: Relationship Talk

Jakeson smiled over at me as he pulled his car to a stop in my driveway. “You really did catch the off guard with your little movie trick.”

I laughed. “Yeah I figured it would.”

He turned down his music and I could tell there was something he was considering saying. Normally I would have taken the signal and instead quickly scrambled from the car but this time I didn’t. He’d always been there for me I may as well hear what he has to say. “I think they just don’t know how to take you.”

“Take me?”

“Right. They don’t know how to act around you. I think they’re worried that if they act like you’re just their friend that they won’t be able to ever progress it further. They’ll be stuck in the friendzone. But at the same time they’re happy with what they have with you now and don’t want to fuck it up by making a move.”

“I never considered that.”

“I figured as much.”

I tilted my head back and let out a slow breath. “I didn’t mean for them to have to walk on eggshells around me.”

“It’s not your fault.” he said in a reassuring tone. “They’re just used to a different class of girls. Whenever we had a girl along with us it was because she was attached to one of us. Like how Sarah is at our table because she’s Kale’s. We all know whose she is so we react normally around her.”

“Right.” I mumbled. So I was really an outcast then.

He seemed to read my tone and set his hand on my knee causing me to look over towards him. “I didn’t mean it was a bad thing Rein. I think they’re all surprised that you want to spend time with us with no alternative motives or reasons. It’s nice to know that someone wants to get along with you for more than just the reason of us being the friends of your boy.”

I gave a little chuckle and shook my head slowly. “How things work here I’ll never get used to.”

Jakeson’s hand remained on my knee and I could feel the heat of his hand slowly sinking into my jeans. “Is it because of Skylar?”

“Is what because of Skylar?”

He turned his eyes out of the side window, not wanting to make eye contact as he withdrew his hand. “Is the reason you don’t see any of us as anything but friends because you’re already interested in Skylar?”

I sighed. “Look, I don’t know what Kale has told you but I’m not with Skylar. He did take me on a date and we are friends but that’s it.”

“You don’t like him then?” he asked perking up a little as he turned to look at me again.

“Well he’s a very nice guy,” Jakeson looked away from me again gritting his teeth, “but I don’t like him as anything but a friend. I don’t see him in that way. He’s just not my type.”

“What is your type?”

What is my type? I wondered as I tried to think about it. Do I really have a type? I tried to think back to the three guys I’d dated back on base. They’d all been different. They’ all been terrible matches with me too. We’d barely dated two weeks each. It just hadn’t worked. “I don’t know.” I admitted after a few moments of thinking about it. “I’ve never really tried to look for someone before so I didn’t make a mental checklist.”

“But you’re not against dating?”

I shook my head. “No. I just figure there’s no reason to chase after it. If I find myself liking someone I’ll work out what to do about it then.” 

“So you’re not interested in anyone?”

Am I? “Not sure.” I shrugged. “I haven’t thought about it.” After a moment I turned to him and gave him a soft smile. “Thank you for the ride home. I’ll see you at school on Monday.”

Before he could respond I climbed from his car and rushed into the house. Do I like anyone? I wondered as I entered the house and bounded up to my room. Before I knew it I fell asleep on my bed without an answer.

Spaceman - Dave Matthews Band

[[ Dear you~ On a side not... gah broke the 60 mark >.< Part I was supposed to end at 60 but... well I'm almost there. I'm thinking it may wind up 70-75ish. Sorreh! I just needed more time to get done what I had planned out. Uhm yeah... so Part II should start coming out shortly after this finished. Already have most of it written just regoing over all of it and adding/removing scenes Anywho... comments are much appreciated! Help remind me to get back to editing this. ~Jade ]]