53: Confusion in the Calm

When I woke up I was alone.

I walked down into the kitchen and groaned. Dang it the cook is actually cooking. “Good morning Miss Maruesa. I’ll be done in a moment. Please wait in the kitchen.”

I gave a nod and sat at the dining room table. “My head.” Kale groaned as he came into the dining room rubbing his temples.

“What happened?” Michael asked as he pulled a bottle of aspirin from his pocket and tossed it to Kale as he entered the dining room. OH MY GOD! Our parents are alive! I chuckled quietly.

“Football practice yesterday.”

“The almighty Kale took a beating?” his father teased.

Kale laughed and shook his head. “No but I do have a headache from the whining lot we call varsity this year.”

“Rein I don’t think I have ever seen you eat at a normal time.” Michael said giving me a smile as he noticed me. “It’s a pleasant surprise.”

“I’m used to a different schedule, sorry.” I apologized as I shied into the room. I’d been tempted to leave but now that I’d been seen I couldn’t.

He shook his head and gave me a smile. “It’s quite all right. Give me your eating schedule and I’ll make sure to have a cook on hand.”

“I like making my own food. It’s calming for me.”

“You’re nothing like your mother are you?” he asked cocking an eyebrow.

I shook my head. “She wasn’t around much.”

“You lived with her and your dad until you were seven and your parents got divorced, right?” Kale asked as he dug into his plate of eggs that was set before him.

I nodded. “Christine was busy with her schooling then though.”

“So your dad raised you? That would explain why you’re so good at football.” Michael said giving me a smile.

I chuckled. “I used to play with his friends when I was growing up. Military men are suckers for a good rough game of football to get out stress.”

“So why aren’t you all proper? I mean growing up on a military base there must have been a lot of rules.” Kale asked.

We talked until Michael excused himself for work and just Kale and I were left avoiding each other’s stares awkwardly. “Why was Jakeson the one who brought you home?” he finally asked after a long while.

“He picked me up when I was running.” I replied.

Awkward. Silence fell between us and I got up to clear my plate but the maid took it away. So we aren’t going to talk about last night. That’s fine with me.

I left the dining room and went out into the back yard sitting in one of the chairs in the sun. I could see Grass mowing the lawn in the distance. I can’t believe he’s never going to talk to me again.

I almost jumped as I felt Kale’s smooth firm hands on my shoulders as he began to massage them. “You’re so tense.”

I pulled away from him and stood up. “Yeah, a little.”

I went upstairs and ducked into the bathroom changing into some running clothes. “Going running?” he asked startling me out of my wits as I opened the bathroom door and he was standing right there.

What is his deal? He’s not going to be all awkward on me now, is he?  I nodded. “Yeah.”

“I’ll come with.” 

He followed me as I ran always staying a few paces behind me. He has to be the weirdest person I know. We didn’t talk at all. We just ran. As we ran thoughts flashed through my mind.

He kissed me. Again.

He was drunk that’s why.

But he said he wants me? Does he?

It doesn’t matter. I’m not going to have to worry about it soon enough. Three more months and we’re related and all of his silly games will end.

Three months and we will be related. I thought again, the words feeling odd in my head.

I ran harder dropping my jogging pace and kicking it into high gear. Kale kept up behind me as we bolted down the streets running as if our lives depended on it.

My calves burned with every stride as I bounded down the road. Kale gave a short burst and was soon running equal with me. We didn’t bother looking at each other we just ran wildly eyes forward.

I can’t stop until he does. I though childishly as I panted hard.

It wasn’t until we had to stop to let a line of cars cross at an intersection that we stopped moving. Both of us bent forward, our hands on our knees as we panted uncontrollably. I glanced over at him and he looked back.

I give up. I thought as I collapsed on the ground preparing for him to mock me. I looked over to notice with great relief that he too had collapsed.

High - Feeder