44: Beach Blues

Click.  He’s got so many freakin friends.

Click.  I’m too easy to play with? Those girls are all over him.

Why does he have to have such a great body? Click.

Click. I hate his fricken guts. He’s all that. Yeah. Whatever.

Click. If only this camera was like the one in that RL Stein book where every picture taken with it shows something bad going to happen to the person in it.  Wait no. I think they die. Yeah, I wish he’d die.  

I couldn’t help but feel more pissed off with every click of my camera.  Kale was already at the beach when we had showed up and I felt like skinning myself alive.  At first I considered begging Skylar to take me home but that would have been unfair.

I decided that if I ignored him and he ignored me then all would be fine with the world.  It would have been working if I hadn’t been currently sitting and photographing him. He didn’t seem to notice me or my camera.

“Oh come on it’s the beach. You can take your clothes off.” Skylar smiled as he shook his hair sending droplets of water falling onto me.

I laughed and put away the camera. I’m going to kill someone if I keep this up. “I don’t know.” I shrugged.

“If I have to take them off for you then I guarantee you will end up skinny dipping.” He teased smiling down at me.

“Okay okay but no laughing.” I groaned standing up.

He cocked an eyebrow. “Why would I laugh?”

“Because I’m horribly fair skinned compared to every single person here.”

“It makes you even more attractive. You’re the fresh white page of a diary yet to be written on while these girls have faded with time and writing.” I gave him a funny look as he said this and he just gave me a playful wink.

I stripped of my clothes and stood feeling slightly awkward as he scanned me and gave a satisfied nod. “Don’t get any ideas mister.” I said wagging my finger and he returned it with a smile.

“Of course not madam.” he bowed low and took my hand, kissing it.

I laughed and ruffled my hair, staring out at the waves. Maybe Skylar had been a good choice at a distraction after all? He had a cute sense of humor and that accent of his was to die for. 

Someone whistled behind me and I turned to see a group of guys who had been playing nerf football moments ago staring at me. I’m not the only ione here in a fricken bikini. I thought bitterly suddenly feeling awkward. As I stared down nervously at the sand the sight of my still rug burnt knees made my heart to a summersault. I felt overly exposed standing here with their eyes on me. I wanted to get away. I could already feel the panic tensing at my nerves. I’d been so helpless then.

“Come on I’ll sunscreen you.” Skylar said suddenly and I looked up towards him. He seemed to have realized how I’d suddenly withdrawn. “You can lay down.” he added as he lifted the bottle off of our blanket we had laid out.

“Sure.” I said taking the opportunity to lay down less obvious to people’s eyes.

I laid on my stomach and he sat down beside me rubbing the lotion into the skin of my back. His smooth strong hands making sure to cover every inch as he slid them under the string of the bikini. The sensation was unusually calming and I found my eyes resting closed as I let myself relax. Skylar isn’t a threat. I told myself. I’m fine.

“Hey Skylar.” I heard as a group of chipper girls greeted him, all giggling and talking happily as they approached. “Do you want to go swim with us?”

I didn’t bother to look up. I figured I’d be alone in a few seconds. I couldn’t really blame the guy. It seemed like girls fawned over him and it was only fair that I let him spend time with the girls that he usually did. 

“Sorry, I’m busy with Rein.” He said giving them a small shrug and I almost yelped as I felt his hands on my thigh. I was seconds away from yelling ‘What the hell?!’ when I realized what he was doing. Suntan lotion idiot. Calm down. But more than that I was flattered that he’d chose me over them.

Sun Street - Katrina & the Waves