16: Clear Skies

“I really am sorry I can’t give you a rides anymore.” Jared asked as we stood outside of my next class, photography, that he had just shown me too. He could sense how frustrated I was about having to have Kale drive me home.

“Don’t worry about it, it’s okay.” I gave him a smile. It’s not his fault.

The first bell rang and I noticed Skylar give me a smile as he passed and entered the photography room. “Well I better get to class.” He sighed. I nodded and gave him a small wave before entering my classroom.

Now I’m seeing things. I thought confused as I looked around the almost empty classroom. Only a few people I didn’t know sat in the room; no Skylar to been seen. I took a seat at one of the empty tables and waited for the bell to ring.

At least I’m not the only one without a camera. I thought as I calmed down. Mine had broken on the move from my dad’s house. I’ll have to see if Kale will take me to get one after school I guess. “This seat taken?” The voice was one I had never heard. Low and smooth with a sight almost British accent to it, my heart melted.

I looked up to see it was none other than Skylar. His emerald green eyes almost seemed to dance as they held mine captive. “No help yourself.” I said as I looked back down to my hands. Guys like this would have never talked to me at my old school. I haven’t changed at all. . . what’s going on? Is this some prank?

“I don’t mean to be rude but I couldn’t help but overhear that you need a ride home, if you want I could drive you?” he offered as he sat next to me flashing a brilliant smile. Oh that accent. Who could say no to that accent?

So as not to sound like a complete idiot I took a moment to compose myself. He had caught me off guard. “Oh I have to stop by the electronics store on my way home so I was just going to have Kale take me.”

“Kale is your boyfriend?”

“No no no. our parents are-“ I hesitated. Something about saying they were getting married seem to creep me out. “-friends. I’m just living with him temporarily.” 

“Not too temporarily I hope.” He flashed another brilliant smile.

The second bell rang and the teacher approached her desk. She started going through what the class itinerary would be for the year and she handed all of us a packet on camera care and a list of assignments for the entire year. “I am giving these out to you now for one very important reason. True photography isn’t planned, it is stumbled upon. When you are tempted to photograph do so and you may be pleased to find it can be used for a future assignment.”

“What do you have to get from the electronics store?” he asked as we were given time to look through the packets and sign on the last page agreeing to the rules of class.

I looked up at him and decided it was my turn to catch him off guard. I flashed him a brilliant smile as I tucked my stray hair back behind my ear. “Just need to pick up a new camera so I can start taking pictures as soon as possible.”

I was tapped on my shoulder and I turned to see who it had been. “I just had to come over and say I love the pink highlight in your hair. It makes you stand out.” The boy said as he gave me a shy smile.

“Uh thanks.” I gave him a confused smile in return and heard the guys a table behind chuckle as he walked back to them without another word to me.

“They’re ruthless.” 

“What?” I looked over at Skylar as he chuckled.

“They are treating you like a new toy not a woman. That’s not something true gentleman would do.”He’s trying too hard. I decided upon remembering Silvia’s comment about how he doesn’t date. “So your name is Rein? That is very pretty.” His accent smoothed over the fact his English seemed slightly out of place as though he came from a different place than America.

Electric Feel - MGMT