58: A Taste of Jealousy

Could he possibly give me a nastier glare?  I wondered as I stood in line for lunch.  “Have you talked to him yet?” Jakeson asked as he got his helping of salad and we moved down in the line.

I shook my head.  “Nope.” An entire week and a half without so much as eye contact. “Can’t say that it bothers me though.”

I met Jared’s eyes and he looked away instantly. No matter how many times I tried he wouldn’t say a word to me.  “You sure do cause a lot of trouble.” Jakeson chuckled and paid for me before I could protest.

“I hate it when you do that.” I grumbled as I followed him through the cafeteria and outside. We sat at one of the benches with our trays and began to eat.

Jakeson mumbled something under his breath and an annoyed look fell over his face. “Hi Rein.” Skylar’s sweet voice came from above me and I looked up with a smile.

“Hey Skylar what’s up?” I asked as he took the seat across from me. “Not eating off campus today?”

He shook his head. “No I was looking for you actually. I tried calling but no answer.”

“My phone’s on silent.” I commented as I drank from the milk.

“They just opened the new nature reserve on the west beach and I was wondering if you’d like to check it out on Saturday with me? It would be a great opportunity to do some photography.”

“Sure, what time did you have in mind?”

Jakeson groaned beside me and I ignored it. I knew he didn’t like Skylar. “I was thinking I would pick you up at elevenish. That way we could have a nice picnic lunch.” Skylar gave me a smile and his accent washed over me.

“That works for me. Just call me Sunday morning to remind me. I might forget about it tomorrow.”

“It’s a date.” He gave me a wink and Got to his feet.  “See you around Rein.” He paused and added “Jakeson.” With a small nod before sauntering off.

“I’m not hungry.” Jakeson mumbled getting to his feet and picking up his tray.

“You okay?”

“Just dandy.”

He stalked off and I looked down at my chicken salad. What am I going to do?  I wondered pushing my tray away from me. No matter who I choose someone ends up mad. I walked back through the lunchroom and noticed Kale’s spot was empty.

I ignored the urge to say hello to the guys and instead headed off for my locker. I turned the corner to grab my graded essay from the literature room when I was met with the sight of Kale being undressed by a pretty blonde girl I recognized from History class.

She turned and her eyes met mine, a pleased smirk on her face. “Rein.” Kale breathed as he caught sight of me.  I quickly turned and walked off.