71: Knowing the Truth

When I woke up I was surprised to find that Kale was at my side. “How long was I sleeping?” I asked groggily, rubbing my eyes.

“An hour or so.” he replied with a shrug. I nodded trying to wake myself up. I’d fallen asleep on the couch, leaning up against the arm of it as I watched a movie by myself. I’d been too lazy to call anyone over.

“Seriously?” I asked looking around at the room that was growing steadily darker with the setting of the sun outside of the window.

“Yeah. I noticed when the menu page song played for the fourth time.” he explained innocently.

For a long moment I looked over at where Kale sat beside me. Surprisingly he was a decent distance away. He wasn’t touching me. He wasn’t scanning the jogging clothes I’d been wearing. In fact… A blanket? I thought numbly and looked down to confirm my suspicions. Kale put a blanket over me? “Why didn’t you wake me?” I asked looking at him. He’d been acting too normal lately and it was scaring me.

“You need your sleep. You’re always out late at night.”

“How would you know?” I asked my eyes narrowing. Just what I needed; Kale spying on me.

He looked at me, mildly amused at my expression of suspicion. “I can hear you in the hall when you come in. I’m a light sleeper.”

I looked away from him and nodded slowly. “Oh. Sorry. I didn’t know that.” For a moment there was no sounds but the tv which now play the movie I’d fallen asleep to over again. “Uh-why are you here?”

“Because you are.” my eyes darted to him and he smirked, scooting closer to me. “And I always told you; you’re damned cute when you sleep.”

To be expected. I thought sourly and glared at him. His smirk kept up as he laid himself across me, his arm over my shoulder and his head on my chest. “You know, I think you’re not the asshole you pretend to be.” I suddenly announced as I looked downwards towards him. He was laying on the blanket that he’d laid across me while I slept. If he really was a creep he wouldn’t have covered me up.

I wasn’t sure why I suddenly felt like I needed to prove to myself he wasn’t a bad guy. He’d been somewhat decent to me lately. “Really?” he asked his voice muffled by the blanket over my chest that his head now rest on.

“Yes, really. So stop trying so hard to be an ass.”

He laughed and I tried to shift uncomfortably as he wrapped his arms around me and held me still. “I never said that’s what I was trying to accomplish.”

“Kale let go.” I snapped not finding it funny. He only gripped me tighter and buried his head in my chest. What the hell brought this on?! I thought. In all the times Kale had ever hit on me he’d never been this forceful in it. “You put a blanket on me.” I stated.

It was more for my own comfort to say it than to point it out to him. I didn’t want to believe that he’d just snap back to being a creep and upping the anti at the same time. What is his deal?