54: Forgotten

We lay beside each other on the ground panting hard and ignoring the confused stares of people as they drove past.

“I was drunk.”

Did I miss some part of this conversation? I wondered as Kale spoke out of the blue. “Huh?”

“Last night.” He panted. “I was drunk.”

I managed a laugh as I tried to even my breathing. “I know. It was kinda obvious.”

“Did I do that?”

I looked over at him. “Do what?” I asked feeling like an idiot.

He scooted closer and I almost punched him in the face on instinct. But I caught myself and he noticed my fist had clenched. He didn’t say anything about it. “This.” He touched my wrist gently and I noticed the bruises forming.

So I’m not a wimp. He was holding me that hard. I nodded. “Yeah.”

“You must have been putting up quite a fight for me to have grabbed you so hard.” He said looking away from me. 

Uhm . . . okay he is officially the weirdest person I know. “fuck!” He groaned loudly and I looked over at him alerted.

“What’s wrong?”

“I can’t remember anything from last night.” He growled. “I was so fucking wasted.” At least he hadn’t been playing with me.

“That’s you get for drinking.”

“I didn’t do anything stupid did I?” he asked sitting up. “Is that why you’re acting so funny? Did I hurt you?”

I thought back to his tearing face. And the kiss. He doesn’t even remember. “You needed help up the stairs and ended up holding on too tight. It’s fine the bruises will be gone in a few hours. It’s not bad.”

We went quiet and just laid staring up at the clear noon sky. “I was in your room.” He said after a long while.

“I don’t know where your room is so I didn’t know where else to take you. I couldn’t just leave you in the hall.” I lied.  “Where are we?”

I stood up and looked around feeling completely lost. I hadn’t the slightest idea where we were. “We ran a good few miles. We’re somewhere by the pond I think.” He stood up next to me.

“I don’t know about you but I don’t have the energy to even walk back.” I admitted.

“fuck I don’t have my phone.” He looked at me hopefully.

“No pockets.” I groaned patting my short cotton shorts.

“I think there’s a house down the road.” He said as cars zoomed by us. “We could walk to it and call for a ride.”

“Call who?”

“I don’t have anyone’s number memorized.” He groaned. “fuck!”

I eyed the cars as they passed by. “I’ll handle it.” I walked out of the little ditch and stuck my thumb out with a cute smile. It was only a matter of seconds before a car had pulled to a stop and the passenger window rolled down.

“Hey there hun.” One of the guys in the car greeted me.

“Need a ride somewhere?” the one driving asked.

It looked like there were already four people in the car that sat 5. Two in the back and two in the front. All guys. 

 Kale is so lucky I’m not a jerk. “Yeah me and my brother were out running and got a little carried away. Could you give us a ride. . .please?” I gave a cute smile and put all the pleading cuteness in the please as I could.

Kale climbed up next to me and ran a hand over his hair. “We only have one open seat.” The driver said looking back at the other guys.

I gave an innocent smile. “I could sit on someone’s lap. I don’t mind. I can’t just leave my brother out here alone. He’d kill me when he finally got home.” He is so fucking lucky that I don’t want us fighting anymore.

“Sure.” The guys in the back said enthusiastically and opened up the door.

“Here.” The one in the passenger seat said as he opened the door and climbed out. “You can sit here man.”

I could feel Kale glance at me as he climbed in and closed the door. Oh god kill me now. The guy climbed into the back.  “You can sit on my lap.” He said with a smile.

“She can sit on my lap. You’re taller. The cops might see and pull us over.” The guy who was now in the middle piped up.

Boys.  “Mike can’t see out the back window then. She can sit on my lap.”

Just Say Yes - Infant Sorrow