20: Perfect Gentleman

To my surprise the car ride wasn’t going as awkwardly as I had expected it to. Kale hadn’t made a single snide or sexual remark since I had talked to him the night before.  “So you and Grass. . .what’s going on there?”

I shrugged. “He’s cool.”

“That’s not what I asked.”

I chuckled as he turned a corner his eyes on the road. “He’s a good friend. It’s nice having someone I can just chill with without any strings attached.”

Kale nodded and I could see the silhouette of the school in the distance. “Are you going to be needing a ride home today?” he asked revving the Mustang’s engine as we neared.

“Yeah it sounds like Jared’s going to be busy for the next few months helping his dad build a deck.”

“I’d be careful around that guy Rein.”

“Why?”

“I just would. It’s probably nothing, just be careful.” Kale parked the car and I climbed out my eyes already searching the parking lot for Jared’s truck.

“Rein!” the beautifully accented voice called for me and I turned to see Skylar walking towards me.

Kale leaned up against the side of his car beside me. “Someone’s happy to see you.” He whispered to me.

“Hi Skylar.” I greeted him with a smile as he stopped in front of me.

“You are looking lovely today. Your earrings really bring out your eyes.” 

“Oh thank you.” I smiled not knowing what else to say.

“Can I walk you to your locker?” he asked giving me a dazzling.

Behind me I could hear Kale scoff. “Yeah I’d like that.” I replied.

Skylar ruffled his hair and smiled down at me as I walked beside him up the grassy hill leaving Kale behind me. “So did you try your new camera out yet?” he asked curiously as we approached the school building.

I was aware of the eyes that followed us but I decided to ignore them and focus on Skylar instead. “I set it up and made sure it worked but I haven’t found any inspirations yet. Thank you for driving me home yesterday, and for helping me pick out a camera.”

“It wasn’t a hassle so you don’t need to thank me. I had fun. I’d say we should do it again sometime but you won’t need a new camera any time soon.”

We made our way down the crowded hallway of the school, squeezing through people in order to get to my locker. “How about you, take any photos yet?”

He shook his head. “Do you need another ride home today?”

“No Kale’s taking me.”

“Are you sure?”

I nodded. “Yup.”

Conversations Kill - Stone Temple Pilots