1: Welcome Home

{{ Dear Reader~ I apologize that the 1st two chapters are boring! I had to set up who Rein is and where she's coming from. I promise it does get better. Also if you recognize this story I have it on my quizilla. It was number 1 for the 2 months I was posting it on there. Yes, that's my account. But anyways... do enjoy ~Jade }}

I groaned as my mom pulled open the door to our small one story house.  “Is there any way you’d change your mind about all of this?” I asked pleadingly as I stepped in after her.  Brown moving boxes stood in stacks leaning against every open wall of the house.  My fingers traced along the light pink wallpaper that covered the long narrow hallway.

“Rein, dear, there just isn’t enough room for the both of us to live in this house. I’m thrilled you are moving in with me, don’t get me wrong, but it just won’t work.” I could tell from her tone that she was stressed with the current situation yet she still turned and gave me her patented ‘don’t worry’ smile. 

“You don’t have to move just for me Christine. I don’t mind living in the basement, really I don’t.  It would be cool.  Like my own little bat cave.” I joked with a playful smile, my blue eyes shining pleadingly.

She shook her head, her mousy brown ponytail of hair waving as she did so.  “I was moving either way dear.” I followed her into the kitchen setting the box of pizza on the bare counter. “Michael is a wonderful man and I am sure you two will get along just wonderfully.”

I helped her get down the paper plates from the otherwise empty cupboard. My mom was a small woman, barely reaching 5”4.  I was glad I took after my dad height wise and was a more acceptable 5”7 for a 17 year old. “It’s not that I won’t like him. I just didn’t want to switch schools.”

“You would have been switching schools anyways Rein.” She pointed out.

“I know that. But here at least I know my neighbors. And Lizzy, I grew up with her. What will she say when I tell her I’m not going to her school after all?”

“You haven’t seen her since you were ten.”

I loaded my plate with three pieces of the onion and black olive pizza and followed my mom into the small living room sitting on the bare carpet next to her. All of her furniture had already been moved to Michael’s house and the movers would be coming for the rest of the boxes the next day. “That’s true but I’m sure she remembers me.”

I nibbled on the pizza waiting for response. “Rein please stop it. I know I should have told you before you got here that we’d be moving, but I thought the point was you needed a change? This will be good for the both of us. It’s hard living on my own Rein. I love Michael and he and I are going to need to spend more time together if we really are getting married in six months. I’m stressed about the marriage, moving, my new job and I don’t need to worry about you too. It’s not that you aren’t important dear but I have the opportunity to help my life, our lives, make a turn for the better and I’m taking it.”

The words stung me at how selfish I was being. “Thank you for the pizza.” I mumbled as I looked down at my fingers picking at the crust nervously. The main reason I was even so sore about the idea of moving again was that I didn’t even know about it until I showed up at her doorstep with my suitcases to the unwelcomed sight of a mover carrying a chair from her front door.

I had traveled all the way from Connecticut to  California by greyhound bus to move from my dad’s to my mom’s house just to find upon arrival that we’d be moving in with her fiancé in yet another part of California. Just peachy.

Take A Look Around - Limp Bizkit

[Music Junkie. So including the songs that somewhat fit the chapter at the end of every one. Don't like it? Don't listen. :) Oh and I apologize for my taste in music.... it's a bit off. Anywho loves and sorry for the lame start.]