43: Aftershock

Kale’s mustang pulled to a stop in our driveway only seconds after Skylar’s did. “I’ll be like ten minutes tops, is that okay?” I asked my hand on the door as I pushed it open.

“I’m in no hurry.” Skylar flashed me a smile and put his car into park.

I got out and started up towards the house Kale following behind me. “What is he doing here?”  Kale asked not bothering to close the front door behind him.

I ignored the question and gave a smile to our maid.  Kale kept close behind me as I bounded up the stairs. I don’t want to talk to you. I darted into my room and started to close the door when he stuck out his arm and pushed it open. “What is he doing in my driveway?” he repeated breathing the word he as though it were poison.

“It’s none of your business.”

I decided to ignore him and stepped away from the door going to my drawers to find a swimming suit. “It’s my house.”

It’s your dad’s house. You can’t control me. Get the hell out of here I don’t want to talk to you.  I shrugged and pulled out a bikini looking at it deciding whether it was good enough.  “He’s not going into my pool.”

“He’s not.” I agreed.

“Then what are you doing?”

I ignored him and stepped into the bathroom, locking the door behind me. I stripped of school uniform and threw on the swimming suit. Clothes. I scolded myself before I unlocked the door and groaned. Kale was still right there.

I could feel his eyes hungrily scanning me as he inched closer. “Don’t you touch me.” I hissed glaring at him. I’d had enough of his stupid games.

“What?” he asked surprised.

“Don’t come any closer.” I hissed at him pulling some shorts and a cami out of the drawers.

“What made you think I was going to?”

“You said it yourself Kale. You want me. Well I don’t want you.” I replied blandly, pulling on my clothes.

For a long moment we stood staring into each other’s faces. He looked taken aback by my words but after a moment he snickered and I made eye contact with him. “You actually think I want you?” he hissed and I looked away from him.

“Your words, not mine.” I shrugged and pushed past him into the hall.

I let out a surprised yelp as he pinned me to the wall. “Let’s get something straight. I don’t want you. I never did and I never will.” His face was inches from mine a sneer on his face. My heart pounded in my chest.

What is he playing at? I swallowed as he glared into my eyes.

“I was playing with you to see how easy you were to mess with.” He hissed at me. “It wasn’t very hard. In fact it was no fun at all you were so easy to get to.”

I pushed him off of me but he just shoved me back up against the wall. I hit it a lot harder this time. “You are a nobody, you understand that don’t you? Without my dad’s money you wouldn’t have anything. You would be back with your dad up in the middle of nowhere where you belong.”

“I’d be fine with my mom.” I retorted shocked at his words.

“Your mom lost her job. She didn’t tell you that did she? It was my dad that pulled some strings so she could work.” He hissed at me with a smirk. “Even your friends you got from me. One word and no one would even look at you. Even idiot Grass now that he saw you kiss me.”

“I didn’t kiss you.” I muttered stunned as his words hit me.

“You might as well have.” He laughed as I pushed him off me and hurried down the steps. “Sorry to bruise your ego sweetie but you are nothing and it’s about time you open your eyes to that.”

I stopped at the bottom of the stairs to throw a towel and some suntan into my bag from the closet. “And stop eyeing me up every time you see me. It’s just pathetic.” He snickered again leaning casually against the hallway wall.

“I’m sorry to have bored you so much while you toyed with me, but at least you won’t have to worry about that anymore.” I said cooly even though my insides were screaming in rage. What is this guys deal? First he helps me. Then he kisses me. Now he insults me?!

“And why won’t I?”

“Skylar will take care of getting me to and from school. We have no classes together so school will be easy to stay out of your hair so as not to bother you.”

“And lunch?” he asked. He really never cared.

“As you pointed out your friends won’t be my friend as of you telling them not to be tomorrow, so I will just have to work something out, but I’m sure I can manage.” I turned and walked out the door and towards Skylar’s car. Before getting in the door however I turned to see Kale leaning against the doorframe of the house. “Seeing as this is the last time I am going to speak to you I thought I should let you know that I am full aware of my meaningless.”

I got into the car and closed the door taking a deep breath. Don’t cry idiot. He’s an asshole. Nothing he says matters. He’s nothing to you anyways. Ignore it. I scolded myself.

“What was that about?” Skylar asked cocking an eyebrow at me as Kale remained put staring at me.

“Can we just drive? Please?” I asked giving him a fake smile. “I am dying to see you surf.”

He chuckled and we pulled out of my driveway. Kale’s driveway, not mine. I reminded myself.  “I have to stop by my place first.” Skylar informed me as we pulled into a driveway just a few houses from mine.

“I never knew you lived so close.” I muttered feeling like an idiot 

Sleeping Awake - POD