45: Getting Wet

He worked the suntan lotion into my skin. As though reading my level of comfort perfectly he only started halfway down my thigh and made sure not to go any higher than that.

You didn’t have to do that.” I said sitting up and turning to him once he had finished my legs.

“Do what?”

“Tell them you were busy. You can go swim with them.”

He chuckled. “I came with you because I wanted to spend time with you, not them.”

“No you came with me because I asked if we could hang and you already had plans.”

“I’d have asked you already if it wasn’t for the fact you always turn down anything but a ride home.” He replied. “So why did you want to spend time together this time?”

To get away from Kale. “I wanted to spend some time with you.”

“Really?”  

No. I’m just using you so that I can avoid time with Kale. “Yeah.” I nodded.

“Why so sudden?” he cocked an eyebrow as he helped me to my feet.

Because Kale kissed me and now I hate his guts. “I don’t know kind of spur of the moment idea.”

“I knew I’d grow on you kiddo.” He teased picking me up and throwing me over his shoulder.

“Put me down!!” I yelped laughing as I squirmed. I didn’t want to fall into the sand though so I didn’t fight as hard as I could have. I didn’t fight hard at all. It reminded me of Spencer carrying me over the goal line.

A small frown played across my face. If what Kale had said about his friends was true then I’d soon be playing solo football. I didn’t want to put them in a position to chose between me or him.

Water splashed around us as he finally set me in the cool fresh water.  I laughed and smiled up at him as I got to me feet.  “Who knew I’d get you wet on our first date?”

I rolled my eyes and splashed him with water. “Who said this was a date?” I asked him after a moment.

“You’re right. This wouldn’t be a good first date.” He agreed as we fell into the water together wrestling under the surface coming up to laugh every now and then and catch our breath before going back under.

I yelped as he lifted me up out of the water bridal style. I wrapped my arms and clung to him. Don’t drop me. Don’t drop me. Did I mention I fear being picked up? Call me stupid but I’d been dropped too many times to feel comfortable with only someone else to rely on. Over the shoulder I could handle since I could cling better. But this made my heart pound.

“Let me pick you up on Friday for dinner.” he said finally after a long moment of looking down at me in his arms.

I blinked. Wait now. Skylar doesn’t date. Silvia said so herself. “Dinner?” I asked skeptical.

Skylar nodded giving me a smile so big I almost forgot entirely about how upset I was with Kale as he set me back down. “Yes. An official date. Just me and you.”

“I’ll consider it.”

He didn’t look surprised at my answer. He had gotten used to me not giving a straight yes or no to far in advance.  “Oh come on, just a maybe?”

I nodded. “Yup.”

“So it’s a yes?”

I laughed. “No I meant yes it was a maybe.”

“Was a maybe?” he smiled hopefully.

“Is a maybe.”

“I can make you change your mind.” Skylar smiled mischievously and I yelped with a laugh as he dived closer to me. I dove under the water and swam fast, but not fast enough. He grabbed me by the ankles and we surfaced together laughing again.

“Okay it’s a date. Friday night.” I agreed, his smile winning me over.

“You mean it?” he asked wading in the water for we were far out from the beach now. I nodded. “I will pick you up at five then?”

Creepin In - Norah Jones