84.

"WHY DID you do that, Am?!" I ask, now completely in panic mode. Her hands were shaking, and her cheeks now remained stained due to the tears falling upon them.

"I-I'm sorry," she stammered. "I... I just couldn't-couldn't bear to see him hurt you anymore!"

I pull her close to me and slowly bring my lips to her head; careful not to move so quickly.  I then pull away and look at my pained father, unsure of what to do next.

Just as I was about to grab the phone to call the authorities, Bertie stopped me by grabbing my wrist. "Don't," he said. "I'll do it."

"Come on, Freddie," Amelia said, slightly tugging my bare arm. "let's get you to sit down." she quickly searches for a rag. "Bertie," she states, placing the damp cloth on my forehead. "make sure they bring an ambulance over here, too."

Before I knew it, the only thing I could feel was the cool texture of water on my skin; swallowed by an abyss of darkness.

..

The sound of the heart monitor beeping woke me up. I open my eyes to see a bright, white light hovering over me. I didn't take long for me to gather my location. I was obviously in the hospital.

I look over to my right and see Amelia and Bertie sitting side by side. "He's awake!" Bertie calls out to the nurses. When his voice rings out, I couldn't help but cringe -- his voice was too loud. I needed some water.

"How are you feeling?" Amelia asks me, gently rubbing my arm.

"I'm okay," I reply, my voice hoarse. "I can't believe I'm asking this, but... Is my dad okay?"

"He's fine," Bertie quips. "although he is going to be behind bars for awhile. Turns out there was more to our dad than just domestic violence."

I knit my eyebrows together, perplexed by what he meant. "What do you mean there's more?"

Bertie sighs. "Dad not only drove while being completely shitfaced," he starts. "but over the years, he was also 'eld accountable for soliciting a hooker in a public place, he also was caught with drug distribution and owning an illegal dog-fighting ring."

Amelia's jaw dropped as well as mine.

"What the bloody Hell?" I asked in disbelief. "So all those times he'd been 'ome late, he was shagging a slag?" I run my hand through my hair. "Knee-crawling and being a drug lord?"

Bertie shrugs as if it's no big deal. "Pretty much." He takes a breath then exhales. "Yeah," he says finally. "he's going to be in there for a long time."

I look down at my hands. For so many years I'd wanted that man to be gone from my life, from my family. Now that it's actually happening, I feel oddly sad about it. I couldn't figure out why.

"I'm glad the fucker is going to be behind bars," I said finally. "but, why do I feel sad about this?"

Amelia spoke then, smiling. "It's because the oh-so dangerous Freddie Highmore is surprised that he actually has a heart."

"It's because the bastard's our dad," Bertie chimed in. "no matter how much shit he's put through we still love him. It's sad, but it's true."

Even though the news that my dad was going to be gone for awhile gave me mixed emotions, I was happy now. Now I can actually help my mother and give her the proper care that she needs.

"Is Mum okay?" I ask Bertie.

"She will be," he replied. "now that Dad's gone."

...