37.

HOLDING HER IN my arms was complete nirvana. I finally had her, even if we were both in a hospital bed.

It still amazes me that she kept seeing me, even after she thought I'd never make it. I heard everything, including her prayers to the man upstairs.

I smiled softly as I watched her sleep. Her eyes were closed as her chest rose and fell. She looked so peaceful. I began to fall in love with her all over again.

I stared off into the distance; my embrace never breaking off as I remembered the time we were drunk off of Jack Daniels. We wouldn't stop laughing at each other's stories, even if they were stupid slurs.

But even then, Amelia was beautiful. She always has been.

~

"This shit is strong," Amelia slurred, her body stumbling over to the couch. I snickered at her staggering being; taking another swig at the liquor bottle.

"It is Jack Daniels, Amelia." she smiled, then fell back on my lap as the rest of her body was sprawled out on the couch. I lazily ran my fingers through her auburn hair; leaning down to taste her liquor-accumliated lips.

"Freddie?"

"Yes, love?"

"I love you."

I didn't reply. I took another swig of the liquor bottle and waited until she fell asleep.

~

It wasn't until after I had cheated on her that I told her I loved her back. As I look down at her, I wonder why she sticks around with a monster like me.

I don't do anything good.

I've hurt her, I've shattered her beautiful heart. I have done everything that could mentally scar her.

And yet she stays.

I look out the window that was next to the hospital bed, not once breaking my hold from Amelia.

"Amelia," I whispered into her ear. "I love you."

I kissed her forehead and sighed. This moment was all too perfect, and I didn't want it to end.

..

"She's ready to go home now, sir." The doctor said once he came into the waiting room.

I immediately rose to my feet, pushing past people towards Amelia's hospital room. I hastily open the door and run toward her; embracing her tightly as I kissed her forehead over again.

"I'm so happy you get to go home!" I exclaim, "I couldn't stand you being away from me!"

"Freddie!" Amelia giggled, moving her face away from me, "I wasn't going to die. Good Lord, it was just a bullet in my leg."

I kissed her lips firm and hard.

"It doesn't matter." I said, "It could have been a paper cut and I'd still worry. I have to have you next to me, Amelia."

I hug her tightly, then kiss her cheek gently.

"You're my everything."

...