seventy fifth

"Jesus Christ, Dani!" He screeched.

"Harry?!" Her mouth parted, freezing on her feet as she turned back, in front of her a man hunched over, face contorted in pain and reaching for his left foot. He moans, gibberish cursing under his breath as guilt punched her straight in her chest. She just hurt him. "Oh my god, I'm so sorry!" She hurtled next to him, worry overcoming the previous horror in her bloodstream. "I thought you were someone else! What are you doing here?!"

He took a moment, pulling himself together and suppressing the throb of his finger toes."Oh god, I told you I was going to pick you up, didn't I? I've been here for two hours!"

Did he? She was way too distracted by Blinche and everything she said to even remember what they talked about this morning before he left. "I-I forgot I'm so sorry." She looked down in embarrassment, fists clenched on her sides, stopping herself from overreacting. "Are you alright?"

Was Harry alright? Right after he jumped off her window, he hit his big toe on their front lawn upon impact which pained more than he could imagine. He didn't give it much attention then because he needed to vanish quick, and then he ran into the shower to wash up. Exactly an hour later someone was calling his phone again, this time it was Milla, and for the next four hours he had to ride with her to the stupid stores in the nearby square to buy decorations and food, asking his opinion for every one of them, which he gladly gave. Eventually they stopped on one restaurant for lunch and there she ranted about how stressful it was to plan occasions. For a moment it was like he was back with his own mother, maybe a bit less charming and understanding, nonetheless still the same energy of authority he hasn't had in almost eight years since he moved out for college.

When they finished they drove back home, Milla talking non-stop about their family tree and her siblings. It wasn't boring, after all he's gotten used to her mother rambling on about things from the beginning. It was one of the reasons she felt comfortable enough to let him in the house in the first place. Nevertheless, he would've preferred it if Dani was the one talking the entire time; sitting on the passenger seat, cringes on her face whenever she mentions people she didn't like. Once they were out of the car, Alfred wasn't home so he had to carry all the boxes and bags into the house. As if that wasn't enough, he spent the rest of it on ladders, putting up string lights across the living room ceilings and taping balloons on the walls, whilst Milla was in the kitchen conversing with him as she cooked.

They weren't even done yet, he just climbed down the ladder and inquired what time Danielle was leaving school and asked for permission to pick her up, leaving a mess of decorative pieces scattered across their floors. He just figured he would continue it when he gets back. Then he drove, feet swelling and arms sore as he went through roads, eager for rest. His phone didn't ring again, the silence in his car tempting him to pass out right there and then as he waited in the parking lot, looking out for the faces that would exit the school. But he wasn't having that, he made a promise he needed to keep, and a part of him was excited to see Dani again. When he did, he couldn't even contain the relief in his chest to the point where he wanted to surprise her to ease his frustrations. Thinking about it now, he shouldn't have.

He stood there, embracing the sting on his foot, suppressing the urge to scream in exhaustion. "Yeah. I'm fine, don't worry about it." He nods, straightening his stance and running his fingers through his hair.

What was Dani even thinking? Why would it be that man? He was far away and he didn't know where she is. Even so, that wasn't enough basis for everything to be alright. If he managed to run into her at the same mall and recognize her after five months, the possibility of it happening again was inevitable, and that fact was a constant sense dread in her stomach. "I'm so sorry, does it still hurt? Do you need to go to the clinic?" She mumbled, caressing his shoulder, carefully studying his expression for any sign of discomfort. This was her fault. If she wasn't so paranoid about everything, she would've not hurt him.