sixty ninth

😣👌👌

hAPPY NEW YEARS GUYS

Dinner had not been gentle. Seven thirty five, sitting in front of the table as her parents exchanged days with her brother. She was wrong when she thought staying in place listening to mathematics equations were the worst thing that could happen to her, because this was it. Carter was sat next to her, digging into his steak as enthusiasm made itself prominent on each word he would say. They travelled to the main city, Oxford University to be exact, and everyone welcomed them there with warmth. As usual Milla boasted about the fact she used to go there, and was fond of the idea that they should attend after high school as well. Dani ate silently, appetite gone from the swelling of her feet and the nonsensical conversation buzzing in the air she didn't want to be a part of. It was weird being in that room. Her brother was right there almost touching knees with her but he was so out of reach at the same time, like a stranger had stolen his face and pasted it on for familiarity.

Normally she would feel happy for him; he went to their mother's school and got greeted with respect and hospitality, but instead she couldn't care less. Of course they would do that? They won the first regional championship their school had ever gotten in twenty five years and everyone is calling him the saviour. If he had went there as himself only, he would get ignored, just like everybody else. But he wasn't just like everybody else anymore. He was someone different entirely. He didn't even use to talk to their parents so eagerly. He would keep to himself and later on break the whatever news he had, good and had. Now it was like she was invisible, and they've exchanged positions just like what she wanted. Attention away from her and given to Carter instead. But why did it feel like that?

Blinché didn't go back for the rest of lunch, and Louis and Niall agreed to look for her after school. Afterwards they went back to their classes, not before Lou promised they would see each other again tomorrow which she held on to. However, she still couldn't get the commotion out of her head, the death of the brightness in her eyes and the way she wrote with such aggression on her paper, the tip of her pen sinking into the page of her note. It wasn't anger. It was utter grief and fury, like she wanted to tear everything her eyes would land on apart. Danielle's knuckles itched as she held her fork, putting herself in her shoes. It was only right, wasn't it? That controversy around Mr. Dweller has been around since he took on the role of principal which was two years ago. It was suddenly announced their previous one was getting replaced by a much younger person and everyone lost their minds.

It wasn't too long before rumours started spreading that he would invite girls into his office after school, and some of the teachers had caught on it. No one said anything, keeping silent until the rumour became an inside joke through the hallways, "Dwight has a thing for doll eyes." the girls would say with a giggle. Dani never cared. It was only a stupid lie anyway and she was too busy with her studies to pay attention to the latest gossips. All she knew is that principals weren't supposed to date students under their control and students liked to make up stories all the time. That was until she saw it for herself, walking one night through the office floors tasked to sweep for P.E a year ago, a girl she went to geometry with pressed up against him hidden behind a classroom door. She ran back, heart pounding inside her chest. Everything was true after all, and the way they talked about it didn't seem like it was.

Maybe there were also times when she caught him staring at her through the corridors whenever he monitored classes, and perhaps he had been a bit too fond when Carter's professor announced he was joining the basket ball team, either way it was all just coincidence. The only reason she's noticing everything now is because Harry is associated with him. Of all people.