forty seventh

It was six in the morning, the light from the skies barely bright enough, but everyone was already busy in the house, the strong scent of caffeine effusing from Alfred and Milla’s coffee cups as they sat around the table. Danielle had surprisingly awaken early today, unlike the past three days that she had gone to school late because of lack of sleep. Well - everyone was awaken early today, after all it was Friday, the day of Carter's regional football competition. He was sat next to Dani like he always had, finishing up his breakfast as their chatter filled the room. They've talked about nothing but the game, her brother claiming he would leave first to get ready with his team at school.

The past three days hasn't necessarily been eventful. Harry had visited several times and conversed with her on their couch, not speaking of what ever went down in the girls’ locker rooms last Tuesday. Speaking of which, they did go out after, Harry lead the way to a restaurant near their school and talked further about Kristen’s case. Danielle could barely pay attention to his words, for guilt still runs in her blood every time she remembers what she did, knees wobbling. But there was nothing she could do now. It just brings chills up her spine whenever she recalls the sensation. Other than that, it has been three days since she last saw Louis or any of his friends. She had tried texting him, but for the past week all she had received from him are apologies that they haven't hangout in a while.

“It's six forty, I should get going.” Carter interrupts the silence as he shifted from his seat, placing down his utensils and wiping his mouth with the table napkin before standing up.

“Are you sure you don't want us to drive you?” Milla questions behind her mug, brown eyes peering up at her son as he walked over to the other side of the table.

“It's fine, mother.” He assures, grabbing his backpack from the counter and putting it on, “Coach said we had to get there as early as possible.” He murmurs as he leans down to Milla, kissing his mother in the cheek before heading out of the room.

“Be careful now!” Milla reminds, “We’ll follow in a few!”

Just like that their front door was slammed shut, leaving Danielle alone with her parents, awkwardly twisting the fork in between her fingers as her eyes froze on the plate. She's always had a hard time talking to her mother ever since she hit puberty, but lately it was becoming more and more difficult to act normal around her, when she knew to herself something else was going on. Not that Milla knows, but the concealer shoved deep in her wardrobe was enough of a sign something was off. She can’t even look at her straight in the eyes whenever she's talking, and thankfully she hasn't noticed yet, otherwise she’d be faced with a death sentence. Perhaps someday she'll be able to face her mother and confidently tell her how much she loved Harry, but that day wasn't going to come any time soon. Not now.

She didn't want to do it. She didn't want to ruin Harry and Kristen’s relationship when all his girlfriend has done was nice things to her, nonetheless every day it gets harder to stay away from him. Especially now that they've shared way too many intimate moments together and Danielle couldn't stop thinking about him. She almost regrets it, nevertheless she’d be lying to herself if she denies her feelings any further.

“Do you think Harry is awake yet?” Milla puts down her mug, gently tapping the napkin on the corners of her mouth, Danielle’s ears fluttering from the sound of his name. Most of the time Harry gets up at five to get ready for work so surely he’d be awake now, but she didn't know.

“Why?” Alfred asks next to her.

“Well if we're all driving to school, I think we should just ride together to save resources.”

Danielle pathetically ponders over the idea of being packed in the same car with her parents and Harry, her chest tightening in agitation. She didn't like being in the car with her parents so she prefers being picked up by Louis, but Louis hasn't talked to her in three days and Harry isn't necessarily the most quiet person to be around in.