forty fourth

Of all days, their P.E just had to be tuesdays and thursdays. There was nothing wrong with such a schedule before, she'd grown familiar to it the moment it was assigned as their periods, but this time everything about it was completely wrong. She didn't even want to walk, let alone sprint thirty times around the field, but today was their physical education exams, and it was either she doesn't run, or Milla comes in and questions her what's wrong. Both options sounded horrible, but she was going to have to go for the less complicated way of getting it over with.

She sat there by the bleachers, the cold metal of the seat a relief to her thighs. The back of the school was empty except for their whole section, the sun blazing hot. Her stomach churned as she watched the first batch of students run around the field in groups with ease, her gym teacher counting down the lapses they've taken. She'd changed clothes in the locker rooms, her uniform replaced by their gym clothes; a plain white shirt and blue shorts. For some reason her shirt seemed a little too tight today, her bra pressing against the fabric of her shirt. Thankfully no one else has to see her in such an attire. P.E was only two hours, and after that she can change back to her uniform. Which . . wouldn't make a difference. All of her clothes shrunk the last time she's worn them and she's beginning to worry she was gaining weight.

It seemed like it, she was plumper in her clothes than last year when they fit her just right. Her thighs weren't as slim anymore, and her shorts could barely hide the rest of her legs unlike last year when they reached half of her thighs. She felt naked, and just being there with the rest of her class burned her cheeks in embarrassment. Not that they were looking at her on the first place, but it was a habit of her to over think about what other people perceive her to be.

She still couldn't find Louis and his friends anywhere, although she did find her brother with the rest of his team earlier practicing. They shot each other smiles before Carter left and it was enough to give Dani just a little bit of motivation to go on for the rest of the day. Harry remained in her head the whole time she was in class, her fingers accidentally sliding off the paper to think about him. It was impossible not to drift off into the thought of him, especially after last night. He could've at least left her a note before he left, or moreover, he shouldn't have left. He should've waited for her to wake up before he left. But then again, who is she kidding? She couldn't even stare at Kristen straight in the eyes without feeling guilty about everything she's done with her boyfriend. No matter how much it felt good to have him kiss her in appropriate places, it was still a sin and the consequences she would have to pay for later on.

"Next batch, you're up!" Her professor called from the middle of the field, a green whistle hanging from his neck as he squinted eyes, looking over to the bleachers.

Before Dani knew it, the rest of her classmates were running towards the field, leaving her the only one still sitting there. She shot up her feet, the familiar trenchant pang of pain shooting up her legs. This wasn't going to be easy, but it was her fault anyway. She trudged down the grass of the field, already catching her breath as her heart pounded inside her chest, hands on either side of her waist. She was the least one to approach their teacher as he begin the discussion he already told the previous batch who ran. Danielle tried to listen through the mixture of buzzing and chatter of her classmates, the only words she catches; "Thirty times around the field. Go!"

Her classmates started to run, leaving her again standing still. She begins to walk as well, following the trail of their batch as they sprinted over to the side of the bleachers, continuing on to circulate the field.

"Matthews!" Her professor called, her head snapping back towards him, "What are you doing?!"

"I-I'm sorry, Mr. Wall - I don't think I can run today!" She shouts back, torn in between walking back to the bleachers and walking closer to her teacher.