fortieth

|I'm legit having unholy thoughts towards that picture what the fuck |

“Do you mind helping me out?” He wheezed, refraining from moving as he looked at Danielle.

She was too busy wondering why he was there; entering through her window like some kind of thief. That was when it hit her, he must've been the one the dogs barked at. He didn't seem very oriented, based on the way he just appeared out of nowhere and surprised her without saying a thing. Dani shook off her thoughts and went over to her window where he sat with his neck twisted, placing his arm around her neck and leading him inside, his weight adding pressure onto her shoulders that she could not take. The heaviest thing she had lifted was a box filled with photo albums, certainly not a six-feet man.

Liquor effused from his black blazer, Dani's nose scrunching up from the smell. She quickly drops him once his feet was planted on the floor, retrieving back to shut the jalousies. She turns back, stopping on her tracks from the man who now laid flat on the white sheets of her mattress, arms spread out as his eyes stared blankly onto the ceiling. His white button down was barely closed, exposing nearly half of his inked chest, the metal of his belt buckle glinting from the light. Black dirt stains the part of the floors he walk on, his brown shoes dangling from the side of his feet. All in all, he was a mess. It's been two days since she last saw him, and this is going to be their reunition? Not that she was complaining or anything; in fact perhaps this is better than having to face their dinner last week.

“Harry, what-what are you doing here?” she finally managed to speak, standing awkwardly from a distance.

He sticks up his head from the sheets, his curls falling back down the sides of his ears. “why? Isn't my baby girl happy to see me?” A lopsided grin pulls on the corner of his lip.

“You're drunk, aren't you?” She hitches, looking back behind her towards the window where Harry's house was in full view. A single silhouette passed through the purple curtain from his room, indicating that Kristen was home. And for some reason Harry was in her room instead, visibly inebriated.

“Nah,” He pouted and shook his head, laying his head back. “Just had a few drinks with Dwight. I need a minute to recover.”

“Does Kristen know you're here? I think she's home, maybe I could——”

“No, don't.” He muttered, putting a hand on his forehead. “I don't want to deal with any of her bullshit right now.”

Dani frowned in confusion, partly bothered by the dirt on his shoes, but mostly by his presence. She sinks onto her bare knees and thought twice about taking Harry's foot before doing it anyway, slipping it off of the shoe. She had seen him drunk before - from a distance while she looked out of her window, stumbling on the sidewalk with Kristen guiding him to their home, but never this close. Never this alone. It was only eight p.m. and her parents won't be back for the next hour. She had been around a drunk person before, specifically Milla. When her mother gets drunk she sometimes goes into Carter and Dani's room and lectures them about life and starts crying before Alfred chastise her and takes her away. Nevertheless, Harry's different. She'd kissed him multiple times before, sober. But with him intoxicated, the possibilities of her sins increasing are endless.

She shook off the filth crawling at the back of her neck. What is she even thinking? “Did— something happen?” she stuttered, putting his shoes to the side of her nightstand before standing back up. She wished Harry wouldn't answer. She didn't want to know, for it would only make her desperate for more information, and she didn't want to be like her mother.

“Ah— we fought.” He simply states, his voice groggy and deep, his eyes closed as he buried his face in his hand. “I yelled at her. I don't know, it's just about some pathetic shit.”