thirty ninth

Why Harry would lie about such a major thing involving a lot of money, she didn't know. Nonetheless it shouldn't be a surprise. He's already cheating on his girlfriend with her and that made her hate herself even more.

"To you too, Ms. Weaver, I'm glad you gave him the permission to do this." Milla adds, flashing her an appreciative smile. "This isn't just something you do out of boredom, this is a big deal. Regional Competitions."

"It is." Kristen nodded in return, jerking her hand off of Harry's.

Dani watched closely; she's never seen Kristen act like that before, as if she was furious over something and is trying to keep herself collected. She reached for her fork and speared through the greens on her plate, distancing herself away from her own boyfriend. She'd always been immensely calm and nice towards everyone, especially Danielle even when she had pushed her off the porch when they first met. It has even become one of the main reasons why she dreads the idea of ruining their relationship, and for months she's carried that baggage on her back and evaluated whether it would be a good idea to confess. Nonetheless, perhaps their relationship isn't so perfect after all.

"What do you do again, Harry?" Alfred asks, peering over to the other side of the table.

"I'm was a real estate agent."

"Was?" Milla's eyes darted onto his face, adding on to the weight on Harry's chest. He felt like he was in an interrogation room.

"Am." He stops scooping up his food to clarify, "I've been there for almost a year and a half now."

"What about you, Kristen?"

"I'm a Prosecutor, Mrs. Matthews, thanks for asking."

Dani lended her ears to the conversation, partly interested as she swallowed her dinner. She's known for a long time now based on Harry's stories that Kristen was a prosecutor, but he never really went in detail on what she does. All she knew was there's an awful amount of papers in their office in his house, and she comes home late most of the time.

"That's great! You know, I planned studying law as well when I was taking my fine arts course in Oxford, but it was just too much for me." Milla claimed confidently. "I had a headache before I could even enter the first semester."

"It is too much." Kristen affirms, taking a deep breathe as she places her arm next to her plate. "Most of the time, it's difficult to know who is lying and who's not, but you just have to listen carefully. And I'm still learning, so I guess that's a good thing when it comes to difficult ones."

"Did you ever encounter ridiculous cases?"

"Well, there is one. I had this long running case about a guy, he'd been repeatedly accused of sexual assault and drug trafficking."

Danielle's thoughts swims back to the day when she got soaked under the rain; when Kristen had to leave out of nowhere after her phone call about someone's case. She mentioned their names, but Dani had already forgotten.

"Good Riddance." Milla mutters under her breath in disgust. "Has he gone to jail yet?"

Kristen's eyes passes over to Harry's face. "No, No, he hasn't. yet."

"How is that even possible? Why haven't you shoved him behind bars yet?" Alfred queried.

"I have. He's been inside four times now, but he keeps getting out. And I only rely on the data the lawyers give me. I can't touch him, and his alibis are reasonable."

"Reasonable? How about all the things the other side are telling you? Aren't those reasonable?"

"I understand their frustration. Most of them are young girls, about sixteen to twenty two, but it's the jury that decides and they believe him." Kristen looked down to her plate, sadness glazing over her face and Dani almost felt her distress.