Chapter 40

Third-person POV

Day 3...

Silence... The hospital was completely silent. It had been exactly 72 hours, 4320 minutes, and 259200 seconds since Laura had received her new heart and she still had not wakened up. Everyone she had become well known too now was here. Harry, Sarah, Kendall, Liam, Louis, Niall, Eleanor, Anne, and Robin all stood next to her praying for a miracle.

Nobody slept, they all felt the awful mixture of happiness and grief. Because even though Laura was in a coma right now, she had still gotten a new heart. Harry didn't speak most of the day unless he was speaking by himself in the late hours of the night to Laura. He came by every night speaking about his day and begged her to come back. Sarah knew all too well she probably wasn't going to wake up anytime soon, Her body went through a lot, It needs some time to heal.

Anne and Robin got the call from Harry soon after the surgery, following up with another one the next day when she was supposed to wake up. Harry called them breaking down with tears as he told them everything. Anne and Robin completely dropped everything to help support him through this.

Sarah called Liam as well Which then led to Niall, Louis, and Eleanor finding out. Eleanor went out of the way to close the cafe for a couple of days so everyone could come to support Laura. Everyone was shocked at the news, mainly due to the fact that she was doing considerably better. But then again they really didn't know how serious her condition was beside Sarah and Harry.

Harry wasn't doing well, he may seem stable but on the inside, he felt utterly dead. His heart was heavy, Most of his body felt numb from the shock. Mind swimming with grief and sorrow.

Day 30

Mostly everyone returned to their normal lives still grieving for Laura. Harry didn't do surgery but he stayed doing paperwork. Sarah was forced to move on because her residency was ending soon. She needed surgery and work to stay educated. Kendall ended up stay for a little longer but she would be leaving for London soon.

Liam, Louis, and Niall visited on Friday nights when their usual get together took place. Harry's office was now located next to Laura's bed. He hasn't gone home except for a few hours to properly shower and grab some new cleaner clothes.

Anne worries for him after seeing him completely passed out in the chair next to her bed. She brought him food almost every day so she knew he was properly eating.

"I'm worried for you to love, you look like you haven't slept in days"

Anne says gently stroking at Harry's curls. Deep grayish purple bags are under his eyes. His once-bright green orbs were now a dull grey.

"Because I haven't"

Harry replies with no emotion whatsoever. He was holding one of Laura's cold hands while attempting to actually finish some paperwork. Anne furrowed her brows looking over at Laura's still body.

"You should come home, just for tonight. You can't keep going on like this"

She begged and Harry looked to Laura.

"She'll be alright, she's not going anywhere."

Anne whispers and Harry lets out a breath.

"Just one night"

He replies.

Later that night he really did end up going over to Anne's house. He was silent all through dinner and barely ate anything. He showered for an hour mainly getting lost in his thoughts while he turned the water all the way to the blue side.

he dressed in some boxers and sweats before placing himself in the soft bed. For this first time in a while, he felt comfort. It didn't take long before he was passed out.

"Harry"

A voice plays through Harry's head and he opens his eyes slowly. He squints as the bright morning sun pools through the curtains of his bedroom.

When he looks to his left he's met with familiar eyes he's been longing for.

"I'd thought you'd never wake up"

Laura smiles kissing Harry softly.

"You're here?"

Harry questions grabbing her cheeks softly. His heart was pounding and he felt warmth in his chest.

"What do you mean of course I am!"

She giggles stroking his head. Tears fill his eyes and he begins to sob violently.

"Laura...Laura...Laura"

He cried kissing her over and over again. 

"I love you iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou"

He rambles and She looks at him weirdly. 

"Have you finally lost it?"

She smiles clutching his hands. He continued to cry as she held him tenderly. 

"Harry"

She says but he was to busy trying to wrap his head around this. 

"Harry"

"Harry... wake up you're having a nightmare"

it wasn't Laura's voice though, It was Anne's. He shoots up in bed feeling the hot tears fall. His chest rises and falls violently as he felt his lungs constrict. 

"No... Please no"

He sobbed realizing it was only a dream. sweat covered his whole body and Anne slowly stroked her hand up and down his back. 

"Shhhh it's okay, I'm here"

She whispers calmly, she had woken up to Harry mumbling and crying. She lays his head onto her shoulder as he cries. 

"I miss her so much"

He says after a while.

"I know honey, I know you do."

Day 60

"You know when Laura returned to work, She couldn't stop talking about this curly-headed lad she'd met." 

Eleanor speaks with a gentle smile. She had come to visit Laura, Harry was sitting next to her when she had come in. Harry looked up to the old lady who wore a dark green sweater. They had talked a few times, He heard about her a lot from Laura as well.

"She refused to name you, claiming we would figure it out"

She laughed dryly admiring Laura. 

"She had this bright twinkle in her eyes"

Harry could barely contain his emotions after hearing that. His heart clenched and he squeezed Laura's hand. 

Day 365

It had been a long, emotional rollercoaster year. With everything that had happened, Sarah still managed to pass her residency and she was now an official surgeon. She immediately went to Laura's room straight after. 

"I did it... I passed Laura"

She cries holding onto her hand. 

"I know I have been to busy to visit but I swear to you from now, on I'll be here, no matter what."

She promised. 

So... I know this chapter was short, but this was the first part of the book I had planned and it is finally complete. I'll be taking a short break to plan the next part of the story but I promise it really won't even be that long. I'm so impatient that I probably will start writing anyway.  

The story is far from over so don't you worry your pretty little heads!