chapter 24

Harry's POV 

I tried to distract myself all day by doing chores and running errands but nothing seemed to make me feel any better. I had the day off anyway and I wasn't on call.

I haven't checked my phone since this morning when I was talking with my mother but nonetheless I saw many texts from Sarah pop up but I ignored them. 

The day went by pretty quickly and I decided to go for a run before the sunset. I grabbed my headphones on the way out. I begin with a light job putting a random playlist on.   

Runs were always a stress reliever for me I would always go if I was feeling down or stressed, and today I was feeling really down. I found myself running a little harder and faster than what I would normally do. My mind is filled with many thoughts and emotions and I couldn't help but think of her. 

I try and push those thoughts out of my head but ended up giving up when I hear 'my love is never lost' from Stevie Nicks play through my ears. I groan out loud pushing my speed a bit faster. 

fucking hell. 

About 30 minutes go by and I find myself close to the hospital I stop in front of a little shop trying to catch my breath. I peer into the little shop noticing it was a floral shop. 

Don't 

I tell myself as I feel my heart hurt knowing I completely ruined everything with Laura. 

she doesn't care

I lie knowing even now she still would care for me, that's just who she is she was the kindest soul ever. An angel in disguise.

Fuck it 

I enter the shop taking my headphones out. 

"Hello, welcome how are you doing today sir"

A small frail old lady said smiling at me warmly 

"I'm quite alright love, how are you"

I reply 

"Oh well I'm doing fantastic may I help you with anything?"

She asked and I ponder for a moment. 

"I just need something small and subtle"

I say looking around for anything stopping at the white orchids with a hint of pink. I walk over to them observing them. 

"I'll take this"

After I check out I make my way over to the hospital determined. I was going to fix this, what i said was wrong and unthoughtful. 

I hurt her and I wanted to at least apologize for being a complete dick.

The familiar glass building comes into view and I make my way towards the front entrance. 

As I walk inside I make my way to the elevator pressing the button for the second floor. I walk down the hallway to room 204 and wait at the door taking a deep breath. I push the door open nearly dropping the orchid. 

It was empty. 

No... she couldn't have?

I feel sick as I start to panic.

no no no she can't be gone. I place the orchid down and rush through the hallway stopping at the on-call room peaking in trying to find Sarah. 

I search everywhere for her feeling my chest tighten. I stop after 5 minutes leaning against a wall placing my forehead on it. 

I feel my eyes burning as I hold back the tears. 

"Harry?!"

I hear Sarah's voice ring through my ears and I look up immediately running to her.

"She's gone?" 

I whimper feeling on the verge of a breakdown. Sarah gives me a sympathetic look and I feel my heart drop. 

I pull at my hair frustrated. 

"Yeah I tried calling you as soon as possible but she was really insistent on leaving and I couldn't stop her" 

She says calmly and I shoot my head up meeting her eyes. 

"She's alive!" 

I scream shaking Sarah's shoulders as she gives me a confused look.

"Um... Yeah? did you not read my texts"

She questions but I felt a weight lift off my shoulder and I rub my face in relief. But it wasn't okay just yet. 

"She left? what happened?"

Sarah explained that Laura was very upset and wanted to go home so she left against Sarah's orders and I felt guilty knowing this was partially my fault.

I need to find her she is in the very critical stage of CHF and without treatment, anything could happen.

"We need to find her"

I say pacing anxiously back and forth thinking of how we are going to find her.

wait...

"Don't you know where she works?"

I ask going completely still and Sarah looks over at me

"I mean I guess I can try and talk with her but I don't think she'll listen, I'm telling you something happened. she has given up I can tell." 

She said clutching a chart to her chest.

"That might have been my fault"

I look down to the ground sighing in frustration 

"Oh no, what did you do?"

Laura's POV

 I returned to work the next day even after Liam protested, I had talked to him the night before after waking up for the third time. I needed a distraction from everything and working at the cafe always seemed to help. I was a barista for the day because walking too much really effected me so Liam took over my tables for me. 

Eleanor came in after hearing my return she gave me more breaks than I deserve and I was so grateful. 

It was a fairly slow day but I didn't mind because I was already feeling awful by the time 3 pm hit. My hands were very shaky and my legs felt like jelly. I had to sit down at least once an hour when there were no customers coming in even then everyone scolded me to go home but I didn't want to. 

Going home meant I was going to be alone with my thoughts. Deep in sorrow, as I stare at the ceiling as I try to sleep. 

Yeah, no id rather suffer here then go home.

Niall was a tremendous help considering his bubbly personality. He would try and make the craziest drinks but ended up spilling most of it or completely hates it. 

I always laughed around him but now every time I laugh i burst into a fit of coughs. 

I knew my CHF was getting more and more problematic but I really couldn't care at this point I had looked up how long before I get a new heart and most of the websites I read said it could possibly take years. I knew I was out of time. 

The cafe door jingled alerting me that customers came in. I nearly drop my water as I see familiar emerald and ocean eyes. 

Oh no