Jones Family

"Emily! Come here please" I called from the kitchen as I buttoned up Daniel's jacket.

"Whaaaatttt?" she whined, coming into the room with her teddy bear.

"We're going to go pick daddy up from the airport. You need to get your coat on sweetheart" I explained and a goofy smile appeared on her face. She stumbled off to put her coat on. I lifted Daniel up as he babbled on to himself. After about an hour of trying to get the two out of the door we finally made it into the car.

"Mummy?" Emily spoke.

"Yes Em?" I responded looking in the rear view mirror.

"Will daddy go away again?" she asked sadly. My heart dropped for my little girl, she hated when he had to go away for the sake of his writing. To be truthful, we all did but I vowed to myself I would support him no matter what, even if that meant sad goodbyes and short reunions every once in a while.

"I don't know honey. I know you don't like it but daddy is very busy. I don't think he likes being away either" I assured. I know he doesn't. Every time he leaves it's all emotions at once and all throughout he tries to find the time to talk to me and the kids, even when he probably has stuff to do. Daniel doesn't like it either. He's only 3 and misses his dad like crazy. The bond they have is just unbreakable. 

"Dadda" Daniel babbled, trying to understand our conversation.

"We'll see him soon bud" I answered, not that he was listening as he was too busy playing with his teddy. We reached the airport and walked through the confusing place, trying to find where Jughead would be coming out of. I had Daniel on my hip and was holding Emily's hand to steady her. As soon as we reached the arrivals area we stood in one spot. Daniel was getting restless so I put him down and made sure Emily didn't let him crawl off. 

I was checking my phone when I saw Emily run out of the corner of my eye. 

3rd person

"Daddy!" the 7 year old shouted running towards her hero. He knelt down and hugged her tightly.

"Em" he whispered, tightening his grip. He looked up and saw his son padding towards him slowly. Quickly, he captured him in his arms and kissed his forehead.

"Hey bud" he smiled sadly, letting a tear fall as his son put his tiny hand on his cheek. Meanwhile his wife stood watching the reunion, finding it adorable but also wanting him to get to her right then and there.

"Kids, let's go see mummy yeah?" he suggested, wiping his tears and making sure Emily had hold of her brothers hand. He carried his luggage over and smiled widely at his wife before she couldn't wait any longer and brought herself into his arms. A whole month without seeing each other in person, hugging or kissing. 

"Hey ssh, I'm home now" he whispered hearing her choke up and he kissed her hair. After a few minutes they let go- well Betty couldn't let go, afraid he would just vanish again. She was getting fed up with this cycle. She hung onto his hand, Daniel on her hip and Emily holding Jugheads hand. 

After a long drive of him talking about his experiences of touring they reached home. Betty couldn't even get a moment alone with him as he was instantly smothered by the kids who had missed him so much. She stood in the doorway for one conversation that hurt her deeply.

"Daddy?" Emily said as Jughead sat Daniel on his lap.

"Yeah Em?" he responded.

"Do you have to go away so much? I don't like it and Daniel misses you. Plus mummys always upset and I don't like that" she whined. Betty waited to hear the answer.

"Come sit" he sighed, patting the space next to him. She did exactly that and he quickly repositioned Daniel to be more comfortable.

"I don't like leaving either honey and it's really hard to leave my family but sometimes I don't have a choice. I always try and cut it short but my editors were very insistent. Once this book is out I can take a break okay? But you can always ask mummy to give her phone to you so you can call me. I promise I'll always answer okay? No matter what" he assured his daughter. She nodded, not responding properly and went to go and play with her dolls house. Jughead rested his head on the back of the couch and closed his eyes in exhaustion. At that point Betty walked upstairs quietly and once she reached the bathroom she covered her mouth with her hand, letting the tears fall. She didn't realise how much this was affecting her until now.

"Baby? You in there?" a voice made her jump.

"Uh yeah...uh I'm just washing my face" she excused, holding back the tears. He knew her better than that. The tremble in her voice, the stutter in her words. He knew her like the back of his hand.

"Baby...let me in. Please" he begged, leaning against the door.

"No, no I'm fine. Just let me wash my face" she insisted before turning the tap on and splashing her face. Her eyes remained red and watery and she found it hard to keep a new set of tears from falling. She couldn't even face looking in mirror. Betty took a deep breath before walking out of the door with a smile on her face.

"I'm gonna go make dinner" she informed but before she could leave he grabbed her arm.

"Betts talk to me. I know you're not okay" he pleaded as she turned around.

"You use to tell me everything. What are you hiding?" he pressed further. 

"Can we sit down?" she asked and he nodded. They sat on the bed, an unusual distance between the two of them.

"We've spent our whole lives together Jug. I've gone from seeing you every day to going a month or maybe even two without seeing you. I'm in this exhausting cycle of not knowing when you're going to have to leave again. Dealing with Emily constantly asking me "when's daddy home?" and "why does he keep leaving" and Daniel always wanting you to be there when he goes to sleep. As soon as you get home I can't even spend time with you until the kids have had time with you because they've missed you so much. Sometimes I just think I'm being selfish. I can't stand in the way of your passion and your dreams but I worry that one day work will overpower family for you." I blurted out.

"I don't know what to do" I cried, raising my fist and clenching it.

"No, no baby please don't do that" he begged, unclenching my hand for me as he started to tear up.

"I'm so sorry. I don't know what I'm doing. I need to be here and every time I go I feel guilty. Everytime I regret it. I love what I do but I love you too much to let this carry on. I just wanted to make you proud but I've just caused you pain" he apologised. 

"You can't just stop Jug. I know you can't" I responded. He opened his arms for me to climb into his lap. I did exactly that as he kissed my hair, running a hand through it.

"Once this book is out I swear I'll be here. Meanwhile I'll cut things short and try to do all of my writing here. I was only away so long for the tour. It will just be short PA meetings now, right here in Riverdale" he suggested.

"Whatever you do...I love you so much" I expressed.

"I love you too Betts" he answered, turning my face to join our lips. 

Later on I was cooking a pasta sauce on the stove when I felt his hands run from my shoulders down my sides as his chin rested on my shoulder.

"Betts, let me take over. Go have a break" he insisted. I shook my head and giggled when he picked me up. We reached the bedroom and he placed me under the covers.

"Sleep" he ordered sternly before kissing my forehead and exiting the room.

"Ready? 3...2...1" Jughead whispered.

"WAKE UP!" the three of them shouted making Betty jolt awake before laughing at the three of them. Jughead got under the covers and placed Daniel between them so that he could crawl about whilst Emily moved around every few minutes. Both kids babbled on as Jughead turned to his wife.

"I thought we could have some family time" he spoke softly making her heart melt as he wrapped his arms around her and pecked her cheek. They were the Jones family. Troubled, chaotic and crazy but inseparable, strong and all round heart warming.