People! Did you find him? Chapter 51

I stare at the wall clock in the living room. It's been ten minutes since Carter called. Ten minutes since my family left. 

" Calm down Maddie. " Esme puts her hand on mine. 

I take a deep breath, and lean back in my seat. 

The movie plays and I try to concentration. 

I take a few more breaths, and my eye's droop a little. My breath calms down and I relax. 

My body relax's. 

I close my eye's. My breath becomes deeper and my eye's become heavier.

No! I can't fall asleep! No! My friend needs me. My best friend needs me! I must stay awake! 

I snap open my eye's and sit up. 

The door opens and slams shut. I jump out of my seat and run to the front door. " People! Did you find him?! Is he okay? " I asks quickly. 

I scan the people in front of me. They stop on Carter. I run up to him and squeeze him in a hug. " Thank goodness! I thought you died, or got hurt, or got kidnapped! " 

He hugs me back, and my heart does a little flutter. Aww. No! No crush. Just friends. 

" I, I'm okay Maddie. " He says tiredly. I let go of him and turn to my family. 

They're grinning like they figured out my secret. " Don't look at me like that. " I glare at them and drag Carter into the living room. 

" Are you hurt? " 

" Just a few scratches. " He sighs. 

I take in his looks. He's tired. There are bags under his eye's. He is covered in dirt and has a bunch of scratches. A twig sticks out from his hair. 

I pull it out, and toss it into the trash. 

" You two should get to bed. " Esme puts her hands on our shoulders. " I'll get you some clothes to change into Carter, and Jasper will show you the guest room. " She turns to me. " Go to bed. You can talk to Carter in the morning. And some one will be in your room to watch you. " I sigh. 

I know she just want to protect me. 

She's my mom. Of course she wants to protect me.

My mom. 

What a strange word.