74. Sunburn - Part Two

a/n: I'm so happy with the response for part one, I'm glad you guys are liking the idea and hope you continue to enjoy the story! by the way, I've posted the first few chapters for revelations on it's own book - I'd appreciate if you guys would check it out if you haven't read the series already and maybe give it a vote! soon there will be new chapters on there so definitely keep your eyes out! hope you guys enjoy this chapter and...maybe one day you'll forgive me for the angst in this fic. today probably won't be that day. but one day. maybe. :)

warnings: probably some language (sorry steve), angst, unrequited feelings, pining, pain, yikes

italics are memories

reminder: my requests are closed!

Orange was so far your favorite.

When you woke up for school the next day, way earlier than you wanted to since you needed to get on the subway, you were shocked by the pretty color rising over the skyline. Orange danced across the buildings and peeked through grey clouds and made the sky feel more alive than you had ever seen it.

At least from this mess, you got to finally see color. 

You tried to hide it, and your parents didn't suspect anything, but your sister knew you too well. She had come over that night and almost like she had a sixth sense asked you what was going on, and you admitted that you met your soulmate (but you left out basically everything else). She had been way more excited than you were about it, but you didn't have the heart to tell her the truth.

She showed you different colors of things so you'd know instead of having to just figure it out or guess. She told you purple was her favorite, and that brown was a close second because it was the color of trees and dirt (you weren't surprised, she had always loved nature).

Peter's eyes were brown.

You had only seen them for a minute before you bolted off, but they stuck in your memory. She showed you the color and you remembered seeing it in his panicked eyes, in the curls on his head, on his messy eyebrows, lighter on the freckles across his nose and cheeks.

You weren't sure if you'd be able to see that color again without thinking about him and what happened.

But you were able to see so much more now. One of your favorite shirts was an ugly green color and you were almost offended that no one told you so. It was like seeing with new eyes when you looked at your photos on the wall, seeing what you looked like with color in your skin and eyes and everything else.

The photos on your wall had plenty with MJ and Liz. There were quite a few with Peter, Ned and Betty too, even some with Flash and Cindy and Abe and some others from your decathlon team. Now it was like seeing them all for the first time again - grey and black and white no longer covered their features. 

One photo caught your eye and made your heart hurt a little when you remembered who took it and what happened that day.

"This trip is gonna be boring," Ned complained, and you and MJ immediately scoffed in offense.

"Just because you aren't into history and art museums doesn't mean this is boring, it just means you have no taste," MJ shot back, and you gave her a fist bump.

You four decided to hang out more the summer between your sophomore and junior years, and that meant going out places you hadn't been. Peter always brought his camera and Ned always brought snacks, and you and MJ decided on what places to go. It was the last summer you had before your friend group extended to Liz and Betty, and it was also the last before everyone found their soulmates (well, not everyone, apparently).