99. Fine Line - Part Five

a/n: lol was last chapter too mean

I had most of this chapter finished before I had posted the last one, so that's why it's so early :) thanks for the kind words on the last author's note - I did one midterm today and it seemed like it went pretty well, just a few more to go! wishing luck to everyone else as they start midterms, and a good spring break!

also I wrote an alternative to this story where it was y/n who discovered that peter was spider-man first...would you guys be interested in me posting that ending after this series is finished? it would probably be a couple parts and I'd just label them "alternative fine line ending" or something like that but. my initial plan was to actual write it that way, but it didn't seem to stick as well as it did with peter finding out medusa's identity first. anyway I can't continue without spoiling the rest of the series so - let me know what you guys think!

warnings: language, SO MUCH DRAMATIC IRONY SORRY, more arguing, this one is kind of sad :/ hehe

requests are open - read first chapter for guidelines

Just like the night before, it seemed like you were getting ditched.

You arrived early to the park where you were supposed to meet Peter. Pretty much none of your work for the project got done - you were up so late wondering what the hell happened on Saturday night, that you didn't get any sleep. You couldn't focus on the project even if you wanted to.

Now you had your computer pulled out, connected to the park wifi, and you still couldn't focus on work. Spider-Man was the only thing you could think about at all, and you didn't even notice Peter was late until you glanced at the time and realized he was supposed to arrive half an hour ago.

You could care less about Peter not showing up. But without him there, you were getting way too distracted by your thoughts and whether or not Spider-Man was okay. 

The more you thought about it, the angrier you were at yourself for not demanding to see how hurt he was. God, what if he was stabbed by that guy? That wasn't something he would be able to properly take care of by himself, right?

There was nothing about him in the news aside from last night's defeat, which was good and bad. At least he wasn't out there getting into fights or anything, but it also still meant that he might be too hurt. You were still holding onto hope that he didn't purposefully stand you up.

Sundays are usually an afternoon and late evening patrol kind of day, but since you had to meet with Peter for the stupid project, you couldn't go until later. You couldn't even warn Spider-Man because you planned on telling him the night before, and he hadn't showed. 

You were about to just pack up your stuff and leave, but then you noticed Peter walking toward your bench. His hands were gripping his backpack tightly - he must've already been in as bad a mood as you were.

"Where have you been?" You demanded once he was within earshot, and he froze.

"What?" He asked, almost sounding nervous. You gave him a weird look.

"I've been waiting here for like an hour," you complained, pulling your laptop back out. "You could've just texted me if you were going to be late."

"Oh, sorry," he muttered, setting his things down on the table.

He was acting weird, that was obvious. You were pretty sure you never heard him say the word "sorry" to you ever, and why was he so nervous? He seemed more jittery than usual, tapping his feet and pencil as he went over his notes. Maybe he had too much caffeine.