92. All These Years - Part Three

a/n: hope you guys are all doing well and staying safe!  this officially makes 100 chapters on this book (including authors notes) which is pretty crazy! Nearly four years this book has existed, with over two million reads, and I still can't get over how crazy that sounds - thank you all for the tremendous support and love on my stories :)

hope you all enjoy this next part!

warnings: language probably, angst, mentions of drinking and actual drinking, I believe that's it!

reminder: requests are currently CLOSED!

It was a week later when Peter finally got the nerve to ask you how it was going with Cindy.

You could tell he'd been wanting to. It was hard not to bug him about why he showed up with Miles in that restaurant of all the places they could've gone for a late lunch - but you didn't. More than anything, you wanted to avoid the subject, not wanting Peter to laugh at you for your first date in years not amounting to anything.

That being said, you weren't upset. You were glad you figured out that being friends with Cindy was all you were meant to be with her. Still, you wanted to go on a date where you felt sparks with the person you were with - being on that date with Cindy made you realize how much you were really craving a relationship.

How pathetic.

Either way, when Peter brought up the subject on your next laundry night, you just gave him a simple answer.

"Didn't work out," you said, hoping he didn't say "I told you so". "Cindy is a good person, though, she doesn't have any hard feelings."

You would've been a little too embarrassed to say it was her that suggested not going on another date. But you knew she was right, and that she had just said what you were thinking before you could say it.

"Ah."

That was all he said, which was probably good. You could kind of tell he wanted to say more, but for once he kept his mouth shut.

"So. Ned's hosting the party this year, huh?"

Peter jumped right into the new subject, which you were grateful for. Every year since high school, you and your friends had a holiday party. It was always before Christmas and usually just before or just after Hanukkah if the timing worked out, so that everyone could have time to meet up before going on vacation or seeing family.

Luckily this year there was one Friday that everyone could meet, and it wouldn't just be you five this time - Ned and Betty were bringing some friends from MIT, MJ was bringing her partner, and you were inviting Cindy while Peter invited Miles and his girlfriend. You heard Flash was coming, which was a little surprising. Peter and him were on better terms since high school, but you still hadn't seen him in a few years. Anyone else who showed up would be a surprise.

There was always an ugly sweater contest, some kind of gift exchange, fun card and board games, and in the last few years, a lot of drinking - though you encouraged that not to happen this year since there would be some minors present. You weren't sure Flash would abide by that suggestion, though.

Ned had volunteered his parents house, as they would be out of the country visiting his older sister for Christmas. His house was huge and perfect to accommodate more people, so everyone agreed.

Cindy and Peter were going to meet you at your apartment before the party, and you were wondering if it would be weird. They had never been as good of friends as you were with the both of them, but they were always friendly, you supposed.