CXXIX. That's A Lot Of Work For One Conversation

"If you phrase it like he has a choice, he'll leave. You have to be assertive."

"I just... I don't know, I hate feeling like I'm ordering people around."

"Then you're toast."

Kurt took a deep breath, catching Hunter in the hallway. "Clarington. We need to talk."

"Last name only, first if you get pissed at him or need to stop him from leaving."

"Why?"

"Just trust me on this one."

He turned around to face Kurt, surprising him. "What?"

He didn't expect to make it this far already. He hadn't exactly planned how to bring it up.

Hunter scoffed and started to leave, Kurt immediately panicking. "Wait– uh, no–"

"Rhetorical question. One he could answer but knows he doesn't to."

"Did I tell you to leave?"

Almost immediately Hunter had turned back around to face him. It's like he couldn't help himself, like he had to follow the commands.

Kurt felt so bad. He didn't want to use Hunter, to manipulate him, but he needed to help him and for that they needed to talk.

"Look, I know what it's like to be force-kissed. You're not alone. But between your response to the writing prompt in class and that, I'm concerned."

"I'm concerned," Hunter mocked. "Look, Hummel, why don't you go be concerned over your little posse and not someone who doesn't give two shits about you."

Kurt took a step towards him. "Show me your arms."

He didn't back away. "No."

"Come on, if you're really fine, it isn't a problem. Just roll up a sleeve and we're done here."

Hunter moved closer to him. "Back off, Hummel," he growled.

"No," Kurt said fiercely. "Look, I'm not sitting here and letting this happen to you. You saved my life. Let me return the favor."

"Really? How am I remotely in harm's way?"

"Roll up your sleeves and prove it. Prove that you aren't in harm's way, that you aren't harming yourself."

He looked Kurt in the eye. "No."

"Look, Hunter, I know you feel alone. But there has to be someone here you care about, that you'll live for," Kurt said desperately. "A cousin, grandmother, neighbor, old friend, your mother, an aunt–"

There was suddenly a hand balling up the front of his shirt, nearly lifting him off the ground. "I told you to back off," he said furiously, shoving Kurt backwards and leaving.

Kurt stumbled back, rubbing at the front of his throat where Hunter's fist had pressed against. He wracked his mind for some explanation, remembering what he never should have forgotten.

"Whatever you do, don't mention his mother. You probably won't make it out of there conscious if you do."

He chuckled humorlessly, looking in the direction Hunter had just left. "Looks like I found the sore spot."