XLVIII. Ah Yes, 'Sadistic Twit,' My Favorite Insult

They all ended up in the waiting room at the hospital, no recollection of how they had gotten there.

A group of kids that they had seen in Kurt's pictures and only Blaine knew showed up, a while after Kurt's family.

They didn't say anything to each other, sitting in a big group. Well, Hunter was across the room, but nobody minded. Some of them didn't even notice.

Eventually a doctor came out and they looked up immediately, anxious.

"He's not dead. He's fighting hard," she informed them.

"Do you think he'll make it?" Burt asked worriedly.

The doctor gave him a weak smile. "We'll see."

They all knew that was code for no, we don't think he will.

Blaine buried his face in his hands.

The doctor walked over to the secretary and Burt shook his head. "I just wish I knew why he did this."

"Blaine said he started acting weird at the beginning of break. Spacing out, sometimes just ignoring him and staring into the distance. They broke up but Blaine was worried so he asked Jeff and Nick to go talk to him. Kurt didn't know he and Blaine had broken up. He said it felt like he was in a dream," Sebastian explained. "Then..."

Matt gripped his hand tighter. "Then Sebastian's douche ex-boyfriend realized that you always wake up right before you die in a dream. A bit late, might I add."

"He said he'd tell me if that happened again," Burt said softly.

"What do you mean, again?" Blaine asked.

"It's happened before, usually for days at a time. But after the last time it happened... He insisted he didn't need help, that he was fine, so I made him promise to tell me if it happened again."

Sebastian nodded slowly. "And last time was when he cut himself, right?"

"You know?"

"We all know."

"Well, except the asshole over there," Matt nodded his head to Hunter.

"You know I can hear you, right?" Hunter asked quietly, not looking up.

"Well I don't care, because you are a sadistic twit," Matt responded, raising his voice slightly.

Hunter just sighed.

They heard a sudden beeping and looked over, seeing a little device the doctor had going off. She wasted no time getting back to the wards.

"Do you know what that was?" Carole asked the secretary. 

"It means a patient was flatlining," he informed her.

They were quiet for a minute, hoping it wasn't Kurt.

"You know," Matt said softly, only Sebastian able to hear him, "this would be a good time to ask about your sister."

"Matt, can you give up already? She's not alive."

"What's the harm in checking?"

Sebastian paused, exhaling. "If she were to be alive, she would be two or three. Young, impressionable. I'd be a father figure in her life. Do you know how terrifying that is? I'm terrified of becoming like him. I don't want to turn into my father."

"Sebastian, you're not like him."

"Neither was he, at first. He was a sweet guy. Loving, caring. Then his mind slowly... deteriorated, and he became what he is now. Besides," Sebastian shook his head, "with where he stabbed her, she can't be alive."

Matt rested his head against Sebastian's shoulder. "I didn't mean to pry. But you're nothing like him, Sebastian. You're not going to turn into him."

"You didn't know him. We're not so different."

"Except you don't want to become what he was. You'd stop yourself. He didn't."

Sebastian chuckled. "You always know what to say."